Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hiner book has a list of definitions in appendix. I assume you are looking for something more thorough though; in which case idk.

--------

On a side note I have access to ASCE 7-16 and the 2018 IBC on pdf. However it is crazy long to print these. Does anyone know what sections are relevant to print?  If it is all of them I will just be stuck buying paperback copies for the seismic exam...
How did you get access to the codes in PDF? Are they online somewhere?

alec45 said:
Google is amazing, you can search for anything.. Hope they help.
Heads up, we don't distribute copyrighted materials on this forum. I've removed the links from my response. Please remove the links from your posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've searched online but can't seem to find the answer - in cases where the IBC and ASCE codes differ, which one governs? For some reason I have it in my head that it's ASCE, but I'm not sure where I got that from...

I've searched online but can't seem to find the answer - in cases where the IBC and ASCE codes differ, which one governs? For some reason I have it in my head that it's ASCE, but I'm not sure where I got that from...
The governing document is the legally adopted building code for the jurisdiction in question.  ASCE 7 may be adopted (in whole or in part) by reference in that code, but I've never seen ASCE 7 as the primary code document.  This applies to any other codes (AISC, ACI, TMS, AISI, etc) that may also be adopted by reference.  As an example, IBC 2015 makes quite a few amendments to ACI 318-14.  

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding my application timeline and seismic/surveying ATT.

I initially sent in my application packet in early May. After being referred to technical review, I received notice from my evaluator that I had a clerical error on one of my references- this was in late June. I sent in the correct reference ASAP via priority mail in an attempt to get approved prior to the July 1 ATT deadline. I have not heard anything since then. 

Should I hold out any hope for being approved to take these tests in 2020? Or should I reconcile with waiting till 2021?

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding my application timeline and seismic/surveying ATT.

I initially sent in my application packet in early May. After being referred to technical review, I received notice from my evaluator that I had a clerical error on one of my references- this was in late June. I sent in the correct reference ASAP via priority mail in an attempt to get approved prior to the July 1 ATT deadline. I have not heard anything since then. 

Should I hold out any hope for being approved to take these tests in 2020? Or should I reconcile with waiting till 2021?
Call the board immediately

Please send me a private message with your contact info. 

I was wondering if the board is still holding exams due to the pandemic. If so, are they holding online sort of exams?

Thanks!

I was wondering if the board is still holding exams due to the pandemic. If so, are they holding online sort of exams?

Thanks!
No they are still holding them in person at Prometric testing centers. The only thing that has changed because of the pandemic is that the 3rd and 4th quarters have been combined into a single, 6-month testing period.

Any advice for surveying? I take CPESR and EET with no luck, and doing really bad on diagnostics even though  I scored well in their practice exams.

Any advice for surveying? I take CPESR and EET with no luck, and doing really bad on diagnostics even though  I scored well in their practice exams.
Anecdotal, but I took Reza's class and found it pretty helpful. Several of the practice problems he provided were very similar to problems I found in the exam. 

Otherwise, I study best by doing as a lot of practice problems and simulated exams. 

hi all, 

So when I first submit my application for licensure I only checked for the California Seismic exam (submitted all required documents and paid $275), was hoping to get more time to study, and now I want to sign-up for the California surveying exam. Do I need to refile the whole application for licensure or just file the re-examination form and pay $150? 

Thanks for the help.

hi all, 

So when I first submit my application for licensure I only checked for the California Seismic exam (submitted all required documents and paid $275), was hoping to get more time to study, and now I want to sign-up for the California surveying exam. Do I need to refile the whole application for licensure or just file the re-examination form and pay $150? 

Thanks for the help.
Sounds like worst case you submit another application with just the front end info and that box checked with the fee. You may be able to just call them though. 

thiughts @CAPLS? He’s the real smart one when it comes to this stuff. 

hi all, 

Thanks for the help.
Once our application for Civil Engineer is approved for you to sit for the two CA Civil state exams, you can just submit the Re-examination form with the appropriate state exam fee.

Once our application for Civil Engineer is approved for you to sit for the two CA Civil state exams, you can just submit the Re-examination form with the appropriate state exam fee.
I think they were asking how do the handle the fact that originally they only checked the "Seismic" box on the application instead of both. So its their first time taking the exams, but has not been approved for the survey since they didn't check that box on the original application.

I think they were asking how do the handle the fact that originally they only checked the "Seismic" box on the application instead of both. So its their first time taking the exams, but has not been approved for the survey since they didn't check that box on the original application.
Yes, thats how I took it and the answer is the same.  Thanks for checking for clarification.

thank you capls

Yes, thats how I took it and the answer is the same.  Thanks for checking for clarification.
Thank you for the help!  I was really worried that I will need to refile the whole package. It will be a nightmare trying to re-assemble 4 referral letters from my supervisors during this pandemic... 

Just out of curiosity, is what happened to me a rare case? because I couldn't find any instruction on the board website. I thought more people would do the same thing to secure more study time...

thank you capls

Thank you for the help!  I was really worried that I will need to refile the whole package. It will be a nightmare trying to re-assemble 4 referral letters from my supervisors during this pandemic... 

Just out of curiosity, is what happened to me a rare case? because I couldn't find any instruction on the board website. I thought more people would do the same thing to secure more study time...
What I did to ensure I had enough study time was I just scheduled my exams one month apart in the 3 month window they give you. they give you approval to test for both exams, but then you have the ability to schedule them whenever you want within the next quarter.

I have read here that the optimal timing within the three month window is to take exam 1 in the first month, exam 2 in the second month. That way, when you get your final results in the third month, you still have time to apply for reexamination if needed for the following quarter. That timing has been messed up though during covid times.

Back