Ethical Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red7474

Reaction score
I'm a new member and have an ethical question. I live in a large semi rural county (pop 100k) and work for a smallish local consulting firm mostly working on State Highways and County road design projects. I have been approached by some local leaders to run for the County Board of Supervisors as there is lack of interest all the members are currently over the age of 75.

For some back story by employer encourages employees to give back and serve the community at large they provide us time and have paid for leadership classes through the chamber to get involved in the community. Currently I'm on a few charity boards and assist with a school mentor ship program and these commitment only take a 3-5 hours a month. I am willing to put the time in so that's not the problem.

I have a hard time worrying that this would could be a conflict of interest, I obviously would have to recuse myself for any discussions about the County Engineers or staff or any other road/contract based decisions that could involve my employer and/or competition. I also haven't discussed it yet with the CEO but that would happen before I stated any intentions.

Do you think there would be to many conflicts?

Thanks

Does your county government have an ethics officer? Or what are it's or the State's law concerning being a civil servant and an elected official? You may want to consult those first for a more official answer.

Off the top of my head I know of a few small jurisdictions where one is allowed to be an elected official and an an employee of the local government. So it's possible that you may be allowed to do both.

With that said, if you are elected it's a wise and ethical move to recuse yourself from matters pertaining to your employment or competitors.

Sorry, I misread your post and thought that you worked for the county, and not a contractor.

Advice is still the same though, recuse yourself from conflicts of interest, and consult the county ethics officer on what else you may need to do.

Back