Engineering Education

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

envirotex

Reaction score
https://player.vimeo.com/video/184659584?app_id=122963

I guess the first response would be that's why internships in engineering are so important.  However, I find this discussion really interesting. How has the education of engineers changed with time? I know lots of "old-timers" (now mostly retired) who never even got a dergee, and earned their title through practical experience.  Maybe engineering should be a "technical trade".  (GASP)

Even more interesting is the guy (Mr. Miller) has a Ph.D. in Mechanics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the guy has interesting points, and my "1st year in college self" would agree with him much more than my "11 years out of college with a PE self".

I don't agree with his comparison to a musician, I think that's a little bit of a reach. Say he compared it to someone studying elementary education. Is that person supposed to be in an elementary school classroom from day one? Do they need to be a teacher while learning to teach? If I hire an engineer to design the structure of a house I want them to know why that beam is going to bend or how to counteract the wind load. And then, when I want to add of a fancy deck on the second floor I want them to be able to say its safe if its built this way, not "oh I have never done that because I only learned how to be an engineer, not engineering".

All that said, I think the system needs some tweaks. As mentioned earlier, internships are the best thing ever.

Also, he can say the % of students with engineering degrees are declining, but he needs to take into account this most recent generation. Take a senior in high school in 1968 and another in 2018 "ok, if you want to be an engineer you need to plan on 8 solid semesters of 8 AM classes, 20 +/- credit hours, doing an internship over each summer and generally being challenged. In return I can almost guarantee you a substantially above average starting and career-long salary that you actually have some responsibility and take care of yourself and a family." Nah, ill just live in my parents basement until I'm 28 with my Art of Listening to Music degree...

Or the brightest realize they can make more money by not being engineering students or not practicing engineering - while putting in less effort in college

Back