Embossing stamp or ink stamp, what's your preference?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger15

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
Do you prefer a steel embossing stamp or an ink stamp and why?

image.png vs image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have an embossing stamp for our construction company (Incorporation)  but wasn't sure it would work best for engineering plans. My previous boss had ink and I went that route. I got a pre-inked stamp from PE Stamps. You know, the one thing that got me thinking was I actually had the option to get it in Red or Blue aside from Black. I haven't seen anything on TX board regarding whether we can get a colored stamp for use. 

Bumping this thread. I would have expected more opinions. 

I just got my license  :D , so it's time for me to purchase a stamp.

Seems like the biggest reason i’ve seen for embossing is to prevent the stamp from appearing on photocopies. This makes sense, but when you consider that there is no regulation against buying a stamp with anybody’s name/license number on it, it seems like a moot point.

I can’t see myself ever using an embosser, personally, as my state doesn’t have a requirement either way. You might check your state’s laws on stamping requirements, it’s possible certain types are not allowed. Speaking of...unless your state specifies otherwise, it is inadvisable to get any ink color other than black.

I purchased this one when I got my license. Very nice quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043GF14W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ue2MDbMB2FV6B

In Louisiana it appears that embossing, ink, and computer-generated stamps are all acceptable. No mention of any color requirements. The rules are mainly written for use of embossers, but go on to state that rubber and computer-generated seals of the same design and size are acceptable.

IMO, an ink stamp seems much more practical, but an embossing stamp is just SO MUCH cooler.

To be honest, I don't have any immediate plans to actually stamp anything. If I wasn't required to get a stamp, I probably wouldn't.

There are a few variations on this thread floating around.

Some states have specifications on which type of stamp is allowed. For instance Tennessee requires every PE to own an embosser. And documents can only be stamped with an embosser - no ink or electronic.

There are a few variations on this thread floating around.

Some states have specifications on which type of stamp is allowed. For instance Tennessee requires every PE to own an embosser. And documents can only be stamped with an embosser - no ink or electronic.
Oh, sorry. I did a quick search and didn't immediately find anything. 

Also I found this online. A company offering a ink + embosser "value package". The company is heavily focused on notaries, but their website indicates that they offer PE stamps also. (They have the official designs in their database.) Seriously considering it.
http://www.notarysuperstore.com/level3.cfm?Search=CatSearch&LevelOne=Professionals&LevelTwo=Value Packages&CFID=12869508&CFTOKEN=9621ca385afbf791-8BF476BD-03C8-026C-D8EE0978AC0C1788&jsessionid=7FBC38F4ECE3B26CDE0DC907202410A6.cfusion

I went with both just because.  I know that is valuable input to this thread.  You're welcome.

I took the leap, went with an embosser just because it's cooler. I can always get an ink stamp later if I change my mind. Bought it from Acorn (from an EB sidebar add). Also found a coupon code for 30% off on Retail Me Not. The code was EB30, so I'm guess it may have originated here. Fun times.

Back