EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be... interesting (?) to try a round where there were equal numbers of mafia/townies (or close) and everyone was blind and had to figure out who your fellow townies/mafia were. Not fully fleshed out in my brain, but something along those lines. Maybe more spy v spy than mafia? Maybe each side has an investigator.
Oooooo, I could do that. No PMs. Only PMs with the 'investigators'.

I think it would be... interesting (?) to try a round where there were equal numbers of mafia/townies (or close) and everyone was blind and had to figure out who your fellow townies/mafia were. Not fully fleshed out in my brain, but something along those lines. Maybe more spy v spy than mafia? Maybe each side has an investigator.
I'd love a game like this! I think I saw some rules floating around for gameplay like that. I think some versions had more than two teams.

I categorically avoid publicly stating my role or alignment regardless. I have to play it ambiguous for the sake of long-term strategy and game mechanics. See below:

1) If I say I'm townie early and everyone accepts and knows it's true then I become an early nightkill target. Result: early game exit.
1a) If I say I'm townie early and everyone accepts and knows it's true then the town is benefited ~80% of the games. Result: game becomes too easy for the townies to win and the mafia tends to lose. Game becomes less fun in the long run for everyone.

2) If I say I'm townie early every game, then the assumption is that if I don't say it then I'm mafia and I get lynched early. Result: early game exit
2a) Following the reasoning above, then if I stay quiet only when mafia, then the mafia is disadvantaged ~20% of the games. Result: game becomes too easy for the townies to win and the mafia tends to lose. Game becomes less fun in the long run for everyone.

The result of 1a and 1b is that the town always benefits from that playstyle alone - irrespective of anything else I do. Result: the game isn't fun or viable in the long run.
The mod will need to overcompensate and give advantage to the mafia to ensure game balance. But that risks making it too hard for the town, or games too short especially if things are too unlucky in the town in the first couple days. Result: Result: the game isn't fun or viable in the long run.

3) If I play it ambiguous then the mafia doesn't try to nightkill me in the early game (for no other reason than to get rid of a 'known' townie). They can use the ambiguity to their advantage try to make me look maf as a strategy. Result: I get to play into the mid-game, and neither the town or maf get an unwarranted advantage.
3a) If I play it ambiguous every game, and prove my townieness through gameplay, then the town knowns not to kneejerk into the silence=maf fallacy and vote me out immediately. Result: The town gives me a few days to prove my worth. I get a few days to observe and play to my strength in the mid-game through end-game. In the long run, this doesn't benefit the town or mafia too much. Especially since anyone, including eliminated players can comment and speculate in the thread.
3b) This strategy requires accepting occasional mislynches will occur as a price to pay for playing it ambiguous. It feels like every 6 months or so I need to get lynched just as a reminder to the town that silence=/=mafia. Mislynches are a natural consequence of the mafia utilizing my ambiguity as a strategy.
3c) The ambiguous strategy means that I get nightkilled during the later midphase of the game. Usually a day or so after I prove my alignment through actions and contributions.
3c1) I legitimately despise the silence=maf fallacy. My pushback this round was based only on that. It wasn't planned and I didn't think my post would actually change any minds. And you should expect me to get annoyed by it in the future too. I will totally accept a few mislynches in a row just to drive the point home - regardless of the cost to the town. Recall that, out of spite, I don't provide analysis to the town as a lynched townie ghost; and I liberally use the word 'dumbass' for the rest of the round.

I personally prefer the midphase of the game. The early game it too blind, and the endgame is just playing out the script. I don't care about surviving the game, so much as I like figuring out the mystery and formulating strategy and tactics.
Big brain thinking too hard.

• If you're a townie say you're a townie
  • If you're a mafia say you're a townie

K.I.S.S. 😛

I was thinking about a game like this. I think I posted about it a LONG time ago.

These were my thoughts based on zero research.

• 50% town - 50% mafia
  • no one knows their role
  • everyone votes for a day kill like normal
  • everyone votes for a night kill and only the mafia votes are counted
    • This is actually a headache for the mod because all the votes will be in individual PMs
    • Maybe the nightkill votes could be public in the main thread as a tool to start figuring out who is mafia, but this puts the mafia at a big disadvantage
  • I was assuming there would be PMs to have the town cop and the mafia investigator start building coalitions, but then the game simply comes down to who builds a voting block the fastest
    • So maybe no PMs? That's makes this much harder.

Last edited:
I categorically avoid publicly stating my role or alignment regardless. I have to play it ambiguous for the sake of long-term strategy and game mechanics. See below:

1) If I say I'm townie early and everyone accepts and knows it's true then I become an early nightkill target. Result: early game exit.
1a) If I say I'm townie early and everyone accepts and knows it's true then the town is benefited ~80% of the games. Result: game becomes too easy for the townies to win and the mafia tends to lose. Game becomes less fun in the long run for everyone.

2) If I say I'm townie early every game, then the assumption is that if I don't say it then I'm mafia and I get lynched early. Result: early game exit
2a) Following the reasoning above, then if I stay quiet only when mafia, then the mafia is disadvantaged ~20% of the games. Result: game becomes too easy for the townies to win and the mafia tends to lose. Game becomes less fun in the long run for everyone.

The result of 1a and 1b is that the town always benefits from that playstyle alone - irrespective of anything else I do. Result: the game isn't fun or viable in the long run.
The mod will need to overcompensate and give advantage to the mafia to ensure game balance. But that risks making it too hard for the town, or games too short especially if things are too unlucky in the town in the first couple days. Result: Result: the game isn't fun or viable in the long run.

3) If I play it ambiguous then the mafia doesn't try to nightkill me in the early game (for no other reason than to get rid of a 'known' townie). They can use the ambiguity to their advantage try to make me look maf as a strategy. Result: I get to play into the mid-game, and neither the town or maf get an unwarranted advantage.
3a) If I play it ambiguous every game, and prove my townieness through gameplay, then the town knowns not to kneejerk into the silence=maf fallacy and vote me out immediately. Result: The town gives me a few days to prove my worth. I get a few days to observe and play to my strength in the mid-game through end-game. In the long run, this doesn't benefit the town or mafia too much. Especially since anyone, including eliminated players can comment and speculate in the thread.
3b) This strategy requires accepting occasional mislynches will occur as a price to pay for playing it ambiguous. It feels like every 6 months or so I need to get lynched just as a reminder to the town that silence=/=mafia. Mislynches are a natural consequence of the mafia utilizing my ambiguity as a strategy.
3c) The ambiguous strategy means that I get nightkilled during the later midphase of the game. Usually a day or so after I prove my alignment through actions and contributions.
3c1) I legitimately despise the silence=maf fallacy. My pushback this round was based only on that. It wasn't planned and I didn't think my post would actually change any minds. And you should expect me to get annoyed by it in the future too. I will totally accept a few mislynches in a row just to drive the point home - regardless of the cost to the town. Recall that, out of spite, I don't provide analysis to the town as a lynched townie ghost; and I liberally use the word 'dumbass' for the rest of the round.

I personally prefer the midphase of the game. The early game it too blind, and the endgame is just playing out the script. I don't care about surviving the game, so much as I like figuring out the mystery and formulating strategy and tactics.
I read 1a), then 2), then 3c1), then back to 1), then 3) and then 2a)....and I get 1pu (per-unit for those not familiar).

I think we should go back to basics:

Mafia Detection.png

I was thinking about a game like this. I think I posted about it a LONG time ago.

• 50% town - 50% mafia
    • This is actually a headache for the mod because all the votes will be in individual PMs
    • Maybe the nightkill votes could be public in the main thread as a tool to start figuring out who is mafia, but this puts the mafia at a big disadvantage
  • I was assuming there would be PMs to have the town cop and the mafia investigator start building coalitions, but then the game simply comes doesn to who builds a voting block the fastest
If I were mod in that situation I would probably figure out someway to automate that with some sort of survey/poll on an external site that wouldn't let users see the responses. Maybe something that is a paid program but just an idea instead of 12+ individual PMs.

I am in for any game as long as I get to play or may be we can create a special character called "Audience" and I can always be that... 😶 ....I never get to be mafia but still get lynched the first day itself I mean howwww.....

• 50% town - 50% mafia
  • I was assuming there would be PMs to have the town cop and the mafia investigator start building coalitions, but then the game simply comes doesn to who builds a voting block the fastest
This would def be a longer game/prob go for a week or two depending on this:
  • 50/50 mafia and town split.
  • Every person playing gets a PM with their role. A little more difficult for the mod, but would make it easier in the end game.
  • Day lynch = everyone votes like normal.
  • Night kill = all the mafia vote, but they're all in separate PMs, so the 'blind majority' is who gets killed. If there is a tie, nobody dies during the night. This could potentially drag the game out in the beginning.
  • Mafia and townies have an 'investigator' to identify if someone is 'the same'.
  • There are two doctors, one for each side, but they don't know who is mafia or townie either. So you might have a mafia doctor saving a townie.
  • No PMs, because let's make it spicy.

I've been trying to play that way as well this year, which is why I stopped answering "Are you maf" questions from people. Why does it matter if I answer those questions or not? It's so easy to lie and say I'm townie if I'm maf.
Txj has animal in avatar -> prob maf

Back