EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @DuranDuran! I thought I had added them, but I guess I didn't hit enter or something? Idk.

Updated:
Currently in: @Dothracki PE, @beccabun PE, @DuranDuran, @jean15paul_PE, @squaretaper LIT AF PE, @NikR_PE, @RBHeadge PE, @harshaPEAZ, @txjennah PE and @BlueBlueprint_PE

Does anyone else wanna play? @MadamPirate PE, @tj_PE, @ChebyshevII PE, @vhab49_PE, @EyehatethePEexam PE, @LyceeFruit PE, @SaltySteve PE? (anyone else I might have missed)?
I dunno if I can commit right now.

Anyone from Alaska here? I have made plans to go down there during the July 4th weekend.... We would be in Anchorage and Seward but just wanted to check if there was anything else worth spending time on.
I'm in Palmer currently. There's a few Alaska members on the board.

How long are you going to be in the state? If it is just for the long weekend, I would avoid Seward as they typically hold the mount marathon race that weekend and if you didn't book your hotel / campground at least a year in advance, you aren't staying in town. You'd be lucky to get a spot in Cooper Landing (~60 miles away).

Should you already have lodging covered, I highly recommend the glacier / fjord tour by any of the providers in Seward or Whittier. I also recommend walking out to Exit Glacier or going on a fishing charter. If fishing isn't your thing, you can take a rafting trip down the Kenai river, which is usually pretty entertaining.

In Anchorage, hike flat top, or take a stroll down the coastal trail at Kincaid Park. Near Girdwood is the animal conservation center, which you can see by either driving or walking (buffalo, elk, caribou, moose, muskox, bear, reindeer, wolf, fox, lynx, bobcat, eagle, etc...)

North of Anchorage, Hatchers pass is typically open that weekend. You can go hike in some mountain snow, and drive the 30+ mile remote road.

Further North is Denali National Park. Book your bus tickets early to go into the park, you may see the big 5 and if the weather cooperates, Denali itself.

Again, it really depends on how long you are in the state and what you really feel like doing. It's a BIG state and a weekend is never enough time to really cover what it has to offer.

@blybrook PE
@harshaPEAZ is paging you for your Alaska knowledge. Also come back and play mafia with us. We miss you.
I miss playing Mafia, along with being more active on the board. Things around the homestead have gone haywire and I haven't had much spare time to check EB. When things settle down a bit, I'm going to try to play a few rounds.
I can still be a NPC for any round as needed.

I'm in Palmer currently. There's a few Alaska members on the board.

How long are you going to be in the state? If it is just for the long weekend, I would avoid Seward as they typically hold the mount marathon race that weekend and if you didn't book your hotel / campground at least a year in advance, you aren't staying in town. You'd be lucky to get a spot in Cooper Landing (~60 miles away).

Should you already have lodging covered, I highly recommend the glacier / fjord tour by any of the providers in Seward or Whittier. I also recommend walking out to Exit Glacier or going on a fishing charter. If fishing isn't your thing, you can take a rafting trip down the Kenai river, which is usually pretty entertaining.

In Anchorage, hike flat top, or take a stroll down the coastal trail at Kincaid Park. Near Girdwood is the animal conservation center, which you can see by either driving or walking (buffalo, elk, caribou, moose, muskox, bear, reindeer, wolf, fox, lynx, bobcat, eagle, etc...)

North of Anchorage, Hatchers pass is typically open that weekend. You can go hike in some mountain snow, and drive the 30+ mile remote road.

Further North is Denali National Park. Book your bus tickets early to go into the park, you may see the big 5 and if the weather cooperates, Denali itself.

Again, it really depends on how long you are in the state and what you really feel like doing. It's a BIG state and a weekend is never enough time to really cover what it has to offer.
I would be there for a week. I have booked the Fjourd tour but realized later that I should I booked a stay first. It is so hard to find a stay in Seward right now. My only option is an Airbnb... Are cabs/uber available in Seward? I am not planning to get a rental there as I would be just there from 5th -7th and 6th is the tour. We are taking the train to and from from anchorage to Seward.

We are reaching Anchorage on 7th and then driving to Denali on 8th. It is also hard to find a rental car in anchorage at this point. Its crazy how I thought Alaska would be less travelled during pandemic... lol I am right now looking for a stay in Denali or Mckinley and have to book the bus tour still... Is is better to stay in Denali or Mckinley? Should I be staying at both places? Someone told me there are better views of Mt. Denali from Mckinley.

Thanks for info above. Helps a lot. I guess I chose a wrong long weekend to be there.

I would be there for a week. I have booked the Fjourd tour but realized later that I should I booked a stay first. It is so hard to find a stay in Seward right now. My only option is an Airbnb... Are cabs/uber available in Seward? I am not planning to get a rental there as I would be just there from 5th -7th and 6th is the tour. We are taking the train to and from from anchorage to Seward.

We are reaching Anchorage on 7th and then driving to Denali on 8th. It is also hard to find a rental car in anchorage at this point. Its crazy how I thought Alaska would be less travelled during pandemic... lol I am right now looking for a stay in Denali or Mckinley and have to book the bus tour still... Is is better to stay in Denali or Mckinley? Should I be staying at both places? Someone told me there are better views of Mt. Denali from Mckinley.

Thanks for info above. Helps a lot. I guess I chose a wrong long weekend to be there.
I don't know if there are Uber/Lyft drivers in Seward as I usually drive down. The town is small enough that you can walk everywhere, I think I've only driven to one location across town and that's because I didn't want to carry the groceries back to the campground. I don't recall seeing any taxi's, but they could be there by now. Should there be taxi's, it's likely run by individuals who will fill the car along the route. So unless you and your group fill the vehicle, it could take a while to get where you are going.

Most rental companies sold off their fleets expecting to replace the cars at the start of last season, then COVID hit and no visitors came, so purchases were put on hold. Now they can't fill the orders, which is a common thing across the country right now. We have been less traveled, but things are starting to pickup now that our goobiner removed requirements for testing and quarantine on all incoming visitors. You can voluntarily test upon arrival, but it's up to the traveler to make that decision.

If I had to choose between McKinley Village or Glitter Gulch (just outside Denali Park), I'd go with Glitter Gulch. The views of Denali (Mt. McKinley) can be better from McKinley village, but all the tourism crap is in Glitter Gulch. I typically camp in the park itself when I'm not driving through. It is ultimately which location you stay in, both have rail access for the train. The white water rafting down that section of the Nenana river is great as well; you get to enjoy some class 3-4 white water.

Hey hey, checking in to see if you all have decided on a rep/backup to send to the mafia championship for season 8?

Technically the deadline was yesterday, but it can be extended a few days if needed!!

Hey hey, checking in to see if you all have decided on a rep/backup to send to the mafia championship for season 8?

Technically the deadline was yesterday, but it can be extended a few days if needed!!
Thanks for checking. I don't think anyone volunteered to represent our group. I can't speak for everyone, but the time commitment was pretty surprising to me when we sent someone last time.

Stealing @SaltySteve PE's intro from last round...Also, I'm going to need someone's help on figuring out how to add new people to PMs once a PM group is ongoing (I might just be missing a button or something...)

Welcome to another What is JK doing? round of Mafia with 13 players.

There are town members and mafia. Townies must try to find and eliminate the mafia with extreme prejudice before they are eliminated. The game ends when either all of the Mafia is eliminated (town wins), or there are fewer townsfolk than Mafia members (Mafia wins).

The game will start today, Monday May 10, 2021. Lynching will be allowed on the first day. Mafia can lynch the first night.

The Mafia members are going to privately tell me who they would like to eliminate during the night. I will reveal to everyone what happened the next morning with some mediocre storytelling. There is a very high possibility that the lynching and night kill will be combined into one story blurb the following day, depending on my schedule.

During the day, everybody (townsfolk and Mafia) will publicly vote for a person to eliminate; I will eliminate the person with the most votes at the end of the day and reveal what their role was. If the narrative is bein posted the next morning, I will reveal the lynched person's role before the night kill.

In the event the game extends to the weekend, the game will be in extended night phase starting Friday night and resuming the Monday morning.

In addition to regular townsfolk and members of the Mafia, there is also a Doctor and a Cop. The Doctor can choose someone to “save” during the night; if they choose the same person the Mafia chose, then that player will escape elimination by the Mafia that night. The Cop can “investigate” one player each day.

The Mafia members know who each other are, but no one knows anyone else’s role except me. I will send more specific instructions to the members of the Mafia, the Doctor, and the Cop. If you do not receive a PM from me, then you are a regular townsfolk/townie.

THERE IS A NEW ROLE THIS GAME: THE SLEEPER MAFIA! The sleeper mafia player does not know they are mafia until a specific trigger occurs in the game and/or thread. This trigger was picked before the game started and the sleeper mafia has the potential to be any non-affiliated mafia member, meaning there is a potential for the mafia member to be the doctor or cop when the trigger is hit. When/if the trigger occurs, the sleeper mafia member will receive a PM and will be included in the mafia PM thread.

To vote on a person to eliminate, mention me @JayKay PE and tell me specifically that 1) you are voting and 2) the username of the person you are voting to eliminate.

Example: @JayKay PE I vote for @RBHeadge PE because they have three eyes and I'm racist against fish.

Please submit your votes in this thread by 9:00 PM EST/8:00 PM Central/7:00 PM Mountain/6:00 PM Pacific Time/Whatever Roar and Bly-time.

A couple of rules:

1) You may use this thread to vote and post about the game
2) Anyone who is an active participant in the game can use this thread to speculate, discuss, accuse, or otherwise participate in the game; just please make sure to follow regular EB forum guidelines.
3) Your vote only counts if you are playing and not yet eliminated.
4) If there is a tie for most votes, I will pick one of the voted users at random using magical dice in a best of 5 round.
5) EB PMing is not allowed this round. This eliminates the 'if you miss 2 days in a row, it's a vote for yourself' rule. I assume if you are unable to PM you must participate in some manner if you are a townie to prevent being killed.
6) All votes via PM will not count unless they are specifically for Mafia/Doc/Cop actions.
7) Votes submitted after the deadline will count towards the following day.
8) You are not allowed to reveal your role, privately or publicly, after you have been eliminated. You may not post screengrabs of private messages in this thread.
9) Please keep all trash talk in the thread and don’t take things too seriously!

Current players this round: @vhab49_PE, @EyehatethePEexam PE, @MadamPirate PE, @Dothracki PE, @beccabun PE, @DuranDuran, @jean15paul_PE, @squaretaper LIT AF PE, @NikR_PE, @RBHeadge PE, @harshaPEAZ, @txjennah PE, and @BlueBlueprint_PE.

I'm regular vanilla townfolk this round...for now at least. Had a technician quit this weekend, that likely is going to put more on my plate in getting the remaining techs up to speed and able to cover an additional person's work. I'll check in as I can.

I'm regular vanilla townfolk this round...for now at least. Had a technician quit this weekend, that likely is going to put more on my plate in getting the remaining techs up to speed and able to cover an additional person's work. I'll check in as I can.
We have a group of 8 (soon to be 9) engineers, and 2 techs. Last summer we had 3 tech, but one left to chase a dream. Last week one of the two remaining techs let us know that he would be retiring in June. Hopefully our summer intern is a fast learner, with 9 engineers ready to drop things on him.

I feel like this summer is going to be very, very bad.

Stealing @SaltySteve PE's intro from last round...Also, I'm going to need someone's help on figuring out how to add new people to PMs once a PM group is ongoing (I might just be missing a button or something...)
There should have been a check box when you made the Mafia PM that allows people to add people to the PM.

Back