EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided that I don't fall off my bike enough, so I ordered a pair of NightRider Luminas so that I can ride the local trails at night during the fall/winter.  Wheeeee!

I've decided that I don't fall off my bike enough, so I ordered a pair of NightRider Luminas so that I can ride the local trails at night during the fall/winter.  Wheeeee!
Show us the bike! Inquiring minds want to know! Cool Santa Cruz!

Edit: I'm a dummy and didn't see the pic above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course my lights come today, and I was awakened by the sound of rain pelting the bedroom windows.

They actually shut the trails down here.  Drainage is really poor on most trails, and the mud gets so bad in the clay soils that when the rain finally dries out, all of the singletrack ends up rutted really badly and takes the trail builders a lot of time to fix.  The handful of places that don't close due to rain are sketchy AF even in the dry. 

First night ride at the local trail.  Good news is that the new lights work great.  Bad news is that the dark makes me a worse rider than I already am, especially on trails I don't have memorized!  No crashes, but a couple sketchy moments on some built up berms where your light shines into the abyss, and you realize that if you go over the top, you're going down about three feet.  Really need to learn how to not lose so much speed going over leaves.  I do OK when its dirt or pine straw, but go full on Driving Miss Daisy over leaves.

Sweet, a bike thread!
Road bike: 2016 specialized roubaix sl4 comp
MTB: Trek 2021 Fuel EX 9.8 XT

Just upgraded the mtb in Nov. from a Gary Fischer Marlin 29'er I've been riding since 2014. Mrs. PBR got into a gravel grinder last Feb. and after a few trips out with her this year, I decided to upgrade to something a little lighter. We also signed up for a San Jaun Huts trip coming up in June. It's the Telluride to Moab, 6 night hut-to-hut. Been ramping up the saddle time to get ready, both on the single track or on the trainer (depending on weather).

Cool! I want to play.

Road bike: Surly Pacer, Disco Tomato red (it has sparkly glitter bits)
Gravel bike: Surly Cross-Check, black
MTB: Surly World Troller (it's a, gasp!, 26" but with the S&S couplers for breaking down and traveling)

Kinda gave up on owning fancy mountain bikes once I stopped working in shops, especially for big rides. When I go to Downieville I just rent the latest and greatest, too lazy/broke to own/maintain fancy things.

I have two bikes, both road. One is an orange Raleigh Grand Sport, which I bought pre-assembled and is now my clunker bike. I love it and it served me well for several years, but isn’t my go-to any longer.

My second bike is my love of my life bike. He’s a white Soma Stanyan. I bought the frame separate (I desperately wanted their 2018 white frame, which I amazingly found at a bike shop a mile away from my house, in my size, for a great deal). I picked out the parts custom with Mr. leggo, and ended up with a very classy, custom-built bike that I will love forever. :)

Does anyone here know the Bike Film Festival?

It’s normally an in person traveling film festival featuring short bike films, but is virtual this year, like everything else.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but Mr. Leggo discovered them and bought a ticket to stream their selection of videos curated for our location (where it is right now, as it’s still virtually traveling around).

Holy moly, let me tell you! This was the absolute BEST TWO HOURS I have spent watching my TV in recent memory (caveat: we casted from a laptop because we don’t have a smart tv, it worked perfectly). The films were not just about bikes rambling through beautiful places (which honestly, I would have been down with). As the founder who did a short intro at the start said, there were real human stories in every single film. I was awed, brought to tears, so happy, joyful, and experienced a million other awesome to feel emotions over the course of the two ish hours. So many important, engaging, intense/awesome/inspiring stories, whether true or fiction.

It was absolutely fantastic. I really would like to find more stuff to watch like this.

In case you can’t tell, I HIGHLY recommend checking the Bike Film Festival out. It was scaled to pay so you can get it for cheap or pay more, up to you!

1619537725885.png

Photo of my bike.

Ok it's not mine. This is actually my sister's but it's my house and I'm the only one who rides it. She won it as a door prize and the bike doesn't fit her, but she always kept it because she says she NEVER wins anything so this is her pride and joy. Anyway, I started riding on bike trails with co-workers and I ride it around the neighborhood once in a while, but I mostly chase Sawyer around the yard when he's riding his 4-wheeler.

I have yet to take this thing on a "real" mountain biking trail, but they just built some new trails close to our house within walking distance, so I might have to check those out soon.

I know. I thought it was funny that she won that and kept it all these years, in spite of the fact I don't think she's ever had a beer in her life lol. Her boyfriend worked at a bike store at the time. I don't think either of them ride much anymore. She's mostly a 5K runner with the occasional half-marathon.

Does anyone here know the Bike Film Festival?
Yeah! It's been years (gosh, maybe like...10, 15 years) but I went to a showing in...SF? Oakland? SO cool. Personally, I LOVE the bikepacking/touring/survive the elements stories (versus the aggro-punk urban cycling profiles). If half the film is B-roll of forests and rivers, I'm probably gonna like it. I'm a simple creature...

Gonna see if I can rope LadySquare into watching.

Yeah! It's been years (gosh, maybe like...10, 15 years) but I went to a showing in...SF? Oakland? SO cool. Personally, I LOVE the bikepacking/touring/survive the elements stories (versus the aggro-punk urban cycling profiles). If half the film is B-roll of forests and rivers, I'm probably gonna like it. I'm a simple creature...

Gonna see if I can rope LadySquare into watching.
There was some great footage about biking in beautiful places (including Donner Pass on a fixed gear!!), but even more interesting were the stories being told. I would give details, but don’t want to ruin the fun of not knowing what to expect next as you go from one short film to the next!

I'm 3wks away from our 170 mile bike pack trip from Colorado to Utah. Going to do a quick overnight this weekend (below), the route will be a good test of gear and conditioning. 30 miles up to around 5k ft, camp and descend the next day. We'll be carrying more camping gear (tent, cook system, food etc.) for this test, which will be swapped out for other duplicates of gear for the longer supported (hut-to-hut) ride. I'll probably post a debrief on Pleasant Ridge for anyone who's curious.
1621273563896.png

Mrs. Supe dragged me out the day after leg day to go on our first ride of the year. I made it about 15 feet onto the trail before crashing when the new 800mm handlebars clipped a narrow "v" between two trees. The dang shifter I cleaned/freed up last year also started sticking again. Have a new XT shifter on order and will replace the cable at the same time. I am also massively out of shape and was dry heaving and seriously about to upchuck 3/4 of the way into a short ride (I hadn't eaten anything but eggs all day which didn't help.) That piece of **** Ergon saddle that everyone rants and raves about also creaks like a 150 year old door hinge, so it's going to get the epoxy/JB weld treatment where the rails slide into the seat. Overall, it was a terrible time. I felt SUPER uncomfortable on the bike, like I was along for a ride rather than in control of it. Guess its going to take some getting used to again.

Junior had a growth spurt and is now taller than I am. She is a very leggy 5'8"-ish with a 34" inseam. I seriously don't think she's going to fit on the Diamondback anymore, and suspect she will have to ride my Marlin until we can find something in stock that will fit her.

Back