DynamicPath

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmotivatedengineer

Reaction score
Has anybody used sample problems from DynamicPath? I signed up for their daily emails and while most have seemed good, there's been a few questionable questions where they haven't always been able to provide reference material to back up their answer choice. 1 question was about the worst case scenario (loading wise) for a concrete dam and the most recent was a project cost estimate question.  

With the project cost question,  it was a 10 week project and they gave hourly rate for the resident engineer and inspector but made no reference to how many hours each person works a week. On the actual, are we supposed to assume 40 hour work week? In a real world scenario,  most projects would have inspectors working a reduced rate as opposed to engineers and supervisors who may be at a single project full-time.  

Does NCEES have any publication or reference guide as to what assumptions should be made on the actual exam? With the above project cost problem,  1 of the answers was "none of the above", which seemed like it could have been the right answer since they didn't say how many hours each position worked. 

I'm trying to use as many resources as possiblefor sample problems, but I don't want to rely on problems that cause me to make more assumptions than the test normally does.

Link?

The exam is very good about not requiring you to make uncommon assumptions.

Any question with an answer of 'None of the above' shows me that is an amateur question. 

As far as assumptions, the only ones I remember you needing are the unit weight of concrete (150 lb/ft^3), water (62.4 lb/ft^3) and maybe steel (490 lb/ft^3). If the concrete weight is different they should tell you.

Back