Down to single digits, how's everyone doing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day I spent Thursday watching some movies an doing much of nothing.... Helped keep my brain from doing to much.....

I'll tell you what NJ, if I think I did good I'll come let you know, and if I do bad I'll pretend I did good and still come tell you how good I think I did.

It's a win win.
Matt's right. You owe us Jell-O shots. Time to pay the piper.

For after the exam:

jello-shots.jpg

GE is right. The afternoon is a bear but the key is rhythm. I found myself each of the three time that I took it either on a roll, answering multiple questions in a row or marking ones to come back to. The key is definitely to GET the ones know in the afternoon. The afternoon is also gruelling from the standpoint of the overall day. There's a good chance that your mentally going to hit a wall by about 1530 and it may effect your body. You may begin to get uncomfortable. My suggestion is to plan for than. Bring a seat cushion to help keep you comfortable. Maybe something to snack on if permitted.

Good luck. Come back on Monday and tells all how well you think you did.
Very true. In addition to being far more difficult, the afternoon session is immediately after a 4 hour session on a day that you're probably fairly stressed about to begin with! During the lunch break I took some advil and went for a walk for a few blocks (luckily it was a very nice day out). It helped get rid of my headache and prepare me for the beating.

From reading above, sounds like the goal is to score the vast majority of the points in the AM and hope for just over 50% on the PM which should get the ~ 56 needed?

GE is right. The afternoon is a bear but the key is rhythm. I found myself each of the three time that I took it either on a roll, answering multiple questions in a row or marking ones to come back to. The key is definitely to GET the ones know in the afternoon. The afternoon is also gruelling from the standpoint of the overall day. There's a good chance that your mentally going to hit a wall by about 1530 and it may effect your body. You may begin to get uncomfortable. My suggestion is to plan for than. Bring a seat cushion to help keep you comfortable. Maybe something to snack on if permitted.

Mike, what set of practice problems (other than the NCEES practice exam) most closely resembles the level of difficulty of the afternoon.

Mike, what set of practice problems (other than the NCEES practice exam) most closely resembles the level of difficulty of the afternoon.
probably the SMS

EDIT: I should clarify this statement. I responded on the fly and didn't have enough time to properly answer it. I only used NCEES problems, old and newer, and Goswami all in one. I pretty much solve all of them. IMO those were best none-NCEES problems, but others on this board have disagreed with that. For those who disagree with that, I suggest the SMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's encouraging if true. I've worked the Thermal / Fluid SMS quite a few times successfully. Will be working that again Wednesday. There are some pretty difficult questions in there though...

Did the afternoon half (HVAC) of the practice exam yesterday. Definitely much harder than the morning but still got 31/40 on it for a total of 66/80 so I'm feeling pretty good. Still cracking away though.

Worked the NCEES 2001 morning session yesterday and had no major probs - 39/40 - lost 1 on a stupid error. I intended to do the afternoon session also but I started falling asleep halfway through my coffee and figured it was a lost cause. Will work the afternoon and hopefully the SMS today. The plan is to not really do much tomorrow. I'll take a hike out to the testing site and see if I can locate the room specified in the Authorization letter.

I remember right before the exam I was alternating between feeling like I knew my stuff and then the next day I felt like a total idiot. Me thinks that's normal and actually a good sign that you know the information.

Two more days...

Take it easy tomorrow and study light or not at all. What you know is what you know.

^^^ That's pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment. Here's to hoping you're right about knowing the material.

Just want to add good luck to all my fellow test takers. Hopefully we'll all be getting good news in 10 weeks or so after Friday.

Hopefully it does not take 10 weeks for everyone.

This past exam in April, it only took TX 5 1/2 weeks to get the results out. Depends on the state.

Been a lurker on these boards, but just want to chime in and wish everyone the best on the exam. Friday evening can't come soon enough!

Aaaahhhhhhh I'm going to fail! again!

Yep that's really how I'm feeling right about now.

Good luck all!

Oh, come on former SMott. Make us proud. Knock it out of the park. Same to all of you test takers. Best of luck. Keep calm, find a good rhythm.

Oh, I'm going to knock it out of the park. It may be a home run and it may be a foul ball. We shall see which side of the line I end up on.

I feel like I'm going to be just like the guy I sat next to the first time I took the exam. He was so nervous that it made him shake so bad, I wondered if the poor guy was having a seizure.

Thanks everyone!

Back