Do synchronous generators have V curves like synchronous motors do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if synchronous generators have V curves like synchronous motors do?

I came across V curves for synchronous motors while doing the Shorebrook PE Power practice exam, and the Wildi book also briefly touches on V curves for synchronous motors... but I don't remember it touching on V curves for synchronous generators...

For those of you that are unaware of V curves for synchronous motors, I attached an example illustration. The more leading p.f. a synch motor has, the more overexcited it is and hence the larger the excitation current Ix becomes. The more lagging p.f. a synch motor has, the less overexcited it is and hence the lower the excitation current Ix is.

So I'm guessing if synchronous generators have V curves, it would be horizontally mirrored to that of synch motor V curves:

• Since a lagging synchronous generator sends reactive power Q and is over-excited, the lagging arrow would point right.
  • Since a leading synchronous generator absorbs reactive power Q and is under-excited, the leading arrow would point left.
  • I'm guessing maybe also the locus of p.f.=1 points would veer towards the left instead of the right? Not sure about this one.
Thanks for any input on this!

Synchronous Motor V-Curves.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: