Do all states have Env. E PEs?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SE license is not an "additional" authority. It is a professional license that can and does stand on its own. It is possible, and done by some, to hold an SE license without a PE license. In full practice act states, such as Illinois, I imagine many structural engineers obtain only the SE license without getting the PE license first, since for structures the PE license is as useful as a bookmark.
Not in all licensing jurisdictions. About 10 jurisdictions consider SE as "additional authority" requiring a PE (in some for or other first) while the majority of others mix in SE licenses with the generically issued PE licenses. And Illinois is simply an outlier. I'm not saying one form or other is better or worse. I'm just stating facts.

WHY an SE license is issued is generally more universally consistent than HOW an SE license is issued.

Not in all licensing jurisdictions. About 10 jurisdictions consider SE as "additional authority" requiring a PE (in some for or other first) while the majority of others mix in SE licenses with the generically issued PE licenses. And Illinois is simply an outlier. I'm not saying one form or other is better or worse. I'm just stating facts.

WHY an SE license is issued is generally more universally consistent than HOW an SE license is issued.
You are correct. In states with no structural licensure regulation at all, passing the 16-hour exam would not get an examinee any license in that state.

States that do not have a practice act, but do have a title or roster designation, would probably grant an examinee who passes the 16-hour exam an ordinary PE license the same as someone that passed the 8-hour exam.

But, my point was that states with practice acts, either full (Illinois/Hawaii) or partial (Georgia/Oklahoma as two examples) will grant you an SE License for passing the 16-hour exam regardless of whether you hold a PE license or not.

Source: I sit on several professional/structural licensure committees.

OK, so CA has REAs and PGs and REHSs and PEs (civil only). Which ones are authorized to design air emissions controls? Which ones are authorized to conduct air emissions testing? Just curious because I know the Env. Eng. PE exam covers those subjects, and I am farily certain the Civil - enviro/WR does not. I don't know about the other titles above, except that RG's don't know anything about air either.

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to point out how shortsighted it is for a state (CA) to turn a blind eye to a branch of engineering that is NOT covered in whole by other branches.
You are right Dleg, California just wants to be different.

Back