Do all states have Env. E PEs?

Help Support Engineer Boards:

heretic23

Reaction score
I'm in California now but PE would just get me a raise a little bit. I could take Env PE in Virginia but not sure it's worth it. What are some other states that license near me?
Nevermind. I answered my own question. Go for AZ license.

CAPLS

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is in writing anywhere, but my understanding is it is standard practice in CA to accept the NCEES Env exam for Civil Licensure in CA. You do still have to take the additional CA tests for survey and seismic that are required for a Civil PE. So that being said, in 2021 Hawaii is the only state that does not recognize the Env NCEES test in regard to obtaining a PE license.
Accept the NCEES PE Env exam for those applying for Comity licensure in CA. Not acceptable for when applying for initial license in CA.

Hockey Eng

Reaction score
Nevermind. I answered my own question. Go for AZ license.

You can apply to take the Env. PE exam in any state. I'm not sure why Virginia specifically was an option. If you're in California, Arizona is fine, or Nevada or Oregon. You can take the exam in whatever state you're in so it doesn't really matter.

The real problem is that your Environmental PE License is worthless in California. The only thing it's good for, as CAPLS notes above, is to apply for comity license as a Civil. If your background is in environmental engineering, then it stands to reason that the Civil PE exam will be much harder than then Environmental. So taking the Env. PE exam and then applying for comity as a Civil is kind of a 'workaround'. Either way you will also have to take the Seismic and Survey exams.

steelnole15

Nobody asked you
EB Supporter
Reaction score
Accept the NCEES PE Env exam for those applying for Comity licensure in CA. Not acceptable for when applying for initial license in CA.
This never made sense to me.
If you take PE Environmental in Nevada, you're good enough to be a civil in California.
If you take PE Environmental in California, you're not good enough to be a civil in California.

The PE Environmental exam is the exact same whether you take it in Maine, Florida, Alaska, or California. So what's the difference?

CAPLS

Reaction score
This never made sense to me.
If you take PE Environmental in Nevada, you're good enough to be a civil in California.
If you take PE Environmental in California, you're not good enough to be a civil in California.

The PE Environmental exam is the exact same whether you take it in Maine, Florida, Alaska, or California. So what's the difference?
One big difference is that the PE Environmental exam was never authorized by the California Board to be offered in California since California is discipline specific licensure state and there is no Environmental PE in California. That is not the only NCEES exam not authorized to be offered in California for the same reasons. Its understood the exam is the same regardless of where it is offered. It is about licensure, not exams.

steelnole15

Nobody asked you
EB Supporter
Reaction score
One big difference is that the PE Environmental exam was never authorized by the California Board to be offered in California since California is discipline specific licensure state and there is no Environmental PE in California. That is not the only NCEES exam not authorized to be offered in California for the same reasons. Its understood the exam is the same regardless of where it is offered. It is about licensure, not exams.
Thank you for the clarification. The obvious solution would be for California to recognize environmental engineering as a discipline.

Just seems kind of backwards that someone can graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering (from a Cal university), work 4 years as an Environmental Engineer (in California), but be told their exam doesn't exist in the state.

Obviously I'm biased, as I am a structural engineer, but I always thought Civil, Environmental, and Structural should all have separate degrees, exams, and licenses.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
I hate to see that this is still an issue. I wonder if AAEES has ever taken this up with CA? American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists - they provide the additional "BCEE" board certification credential for enviros. I should check that out since I pay dues!

At any rate, I am personally done with it. I got licensed as an Enviro in 3 states now and probably won't be looking to get licensed anywhere else.

CAPLS

Reaction score
Its important to understand that the purpose for the boards and licensing in the first place is to protect the public. Not to protect the licensing community. Since CA is a discipline specific state, most everything typically involved in environmental engineering is covered by other licensed professionals (civil engineer, geologist, land surveyor, chemical engineer, mechanical engineer) and this is usually performed as a collaborative team on such projects. In fact those professionals are usually on the project anyways so there is no need for redundant or overlapping licenses.

A few years ago, there was an effort to implement the Environmental Engineer license and it did not succeed primarily because it would had only been regulated as a title only (actual practice not regulated) and the definition of the practice would had been so narrowly defined that it wouldn't be worthwhile. There was no supporting evidence that the public is not being protected currently.

Latest posts