Design Build Bridging Documents

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alec45

Reaction score
Can some one help to explain the design build process a little better as this is new to me. My understanding is initially a preliminary (or conceptual design) is completed (about 30% design). Is this considered the bridging documents? Is a PDR typically included?
Then a contractor will complete the design and build at the same time to speed the process up.

Just a short and simply response would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

What you stated is pretty much the way I have come to understand the DB process is. In general:
- Owner (state, city, airport, PPP, etc) has an idea of something that needs to be built
- Owner finds funding and usually acquires the land/easements/access to the area
- Owner provides a layout (5% design would be sufficient or even a statement of "I want this railroad to go from here to here") and a specification to meet
- Owner hires a DB- in my experience it is usually a Contractor that hires a designer/design team, sometimes it is a Joint Venture. I am sure there are instances where a designer or Program Manager is hired.

I have never used/heard the term "bridging documents" and I am not sure what a "PDR" is. I have also never been part of the design portion of a design build, but I have been a part of the Project Management from the Owner and Contractors sides.

The intention (IMHO and is purely based on what I have seen/heard, not on books) of DB is twofold:
- Construction can start prior to the design being finished
- Construction expertise can be incorporated in the design to potentially speed up construction

Lately DB has been touted as a "faster way to build something" and a "low risk to the Owner way to build something". While both are true if the DB process is followed correctly, it seems more and more often the phrase is used and the process is not followed.

What you stated is pretty much the way I have come to understand the DB process is. In general:
- Owner (state, city, airport, PPP, etc) has an idea of something that needs to be built
- Owner finds funding and usually acquires the land/easements/access to the area
- Owner provides a layout (5% design would be sufficient or even a statement of "I want this railroad to go from here to here") and a specification to meet
- Owner hires a DB- in my experience it is usually a Contractor that hires a designer/design team, sometimes it is a Joint Venture. I am sure there are instances where a designer or Program Manager is hired.

I have never used/heard the term "bridging documents" and I am not sure what a "PDR" is. I have also never been part of the design portion of a design build, but I have been a part of the Project Management from the Owner and Contractors sides.

The intention (IMHO and is purely based on what I have seen/heard, not on books) of DB is twofold:
- Construction can start prior to the design being finished
- Construction expertise can be incorporated in the design to potentially speed up construction

Lately DB has been touted as a "faster way to build something" and a "low risk to the Owner way to build something". While both are true if the DB process is followed correctly, it seems more and more often the phrase is used and the process is not followed.
Thanks @bwin12 ! I really appreciate the clarification and your experience/input on this. Very helpful. FYI I have come across the term bridging documents when referring to the preliminary design and specification to meet given to the DB team to start the design. PDR is preliminary design report.

Also thanks for the heads up that a true design build process is not often followed. I hope to have a project soon that I will play a part in representing the owner. Will be good to keep the project on a fast pace and with low risk.

Thanks!

Back