December 2018 Test Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, anyone else still waiting for their license verification? Got notice that I passed my last exam on January 14 and still not a peep from BPELSG about the license. Checked the database already, too. All my coworkers who have passed previously were notified of licensure witchin about a week of getting their exam results. 😕 Is this typical?
I am also waiting, been checking everyday...

Anybody else receive their license yet after passing the test. I'm still waiting but wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

Anybody else receive their license yet after passing the test. I'm still waiting but wondering if anyone else has heard anything?
Same here still... Someone else pointed out that the board issues licenses every 2 weeks on Fridays, the last licenses were issued Feb 1, so here's hoping for good news this Friday!

I haven’t seen any new licenses issued today. I guess we’ll have to keep waiting. 

@CAPLS can you clarify whether the Notice of Successful Examination form is required with the new application process? I passed the NCEES exam prior to applying, and included my NCEES results in my application, but there seems to be buzz that it is still required. Is that true? Wondering if this is what's holding up my license approval. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@CAPLS can you clarify whether the Notice of Successful Examination form is required with the new application process? I passed the NCEES exam prior to applying, and included my NCEES results in my application, but there seems to be buzz that it is still required. Is that true? Wondering if this is what's holding up my license approval. 
Yes, that notice is required when submitting a new application.

No, I haven’t received a license number yet. I’m confused by the @CAPLS comment above about submitting the notice of successful examination. My application was submitted under the new process, so I had to pass the 8hr NCEES exam prior to applying. I was approved to take the state exams in Q4. I passed seismic and surveying in December. My understanding was I just need to wait for the CA board to assign a license number. Am I missing a step? 

No, I haven’t received a license number yet. I’m confused by the @CAPLS comment above about submitting the notice of successful examination. My application was submitted under the new process, so I had to pass the 8hr NCEES exam prior to applying. I was approved to take the state exams in Q4. I passed seismic and surveying in December. My understanding was I just need to wait for the CA board to assign a license number. Am I missing a step? 
You passed both exams in December and you haven’t gotten your license number!!! That’s really odd, have you tried contacting/ e-mailing the board? They are so responsive. 

PM me your name and contact info so I can check on it for you. 

I am in the exact same boat - passed Surveying in Nov and Seismic in December, passed NCEES last spring before even applying. Still no license number. I tried emailing BPELSG twice with no response. 

Passing the national exam before taking the state exam is a recommendation and NOT a requirement. You can take the state exams (on application approval by the board) before you attempt/pass the national exam. In your case, I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that the board has no idea you passed the national and is waiting for that notification via the 'Notice of Successful Examination Form'. This means the approval of your application by the state is completely independent of you passing the national exam. Hope this helps. 

Passing the national exam before taking the state exam is a recommendation and NOT a requirement. You can take the state exams (on application approval by the board) before you attempt/pass the national exam. In your case, I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that the board has no idea you passed the national and is waiting for that notification via the 'Notice of Successful Examination Form'. This means the approval of your application by the state is completely independent of you passing the national exam. Hope this helps. 
Actually... you have to pass  the national exam BEFORE you take the state exams. In order to register for the state exams, you have to fill out an application which has a checklist. One of the items in that checklist says something like "I have passed the National NCEES Exam". You have to have that checked off in order for your application to be approved. So the application does 2 things, it registers you for the state exams as well as register you to become a licensed Civil PE once you pass those state exams.

I'm confused about the part where you have to submit a "Notice of Successful Examination" form though because I got my license number automatically a couple weeks after I passed the state exams. I didn't have to fill out that form. (I was under the new process)

Actually... you have to pass  the national exam BEFORE you take the state exams. In order to register for the state exams, you have to fill out an application which has a checklist. One of the items in that checklist says something like "I have passed the National NCEES Exam". You have to have that checked off in order for your application to be approved. So the application does 2 things, it registers you for the state exams as well as register you to become a licensed Civil PE once you pass those state exams.

I'm confused about the part where you have to submit a "Notice of Successful Examination" form though because I got my license number automatically a couple weeks after I passed the state exams. I didn't have to fill out that form. (I was under the new process)
Right. So here's my story:

I sent in my application to the board November 2017. My application was processed and approved by February 2018. I was under the impression I HAD to pass the national exam, let the board know about it via that form, and that only then I would receive the ATT for the state exams. I attempted the national exam in Spring 2018, did not pass. Passed October 2018, and sent over the form to the board so that I could get my ATT for seismic and surveying. It was only after a dozen unsuccessful emails that I was told by a Licensing Analyst, and her boss (head licensing analyst) that an ATT had been sent to me in March 2018 (much before I took the national exam the first time round) and that I had a "No-Show" both in the Board and Prometric records. That's when they also told me passing the national exam is NOT a requirement. They only recommend it. I understand the board portrays it like you HAVE to. So I repaid the examination fees and I'm appearing for the exams this month. The ATT emails from March 2018 went to my spam (I know now because the most recent ATT emails, from Jan 2019, also went there and I kept an eye out for them) and there's no way of recovering those after 8-9 months, because they get deleted every 30 days automatically. I saw no point in arguing after that, especially if those were the board rules and I had interpreted them wrongly.

I don't know if the rules have changed or not since then, but I was told a lot of people fall for the same misunderstanding about the national exam and state applications. And that can be seen on the forum quite a bit here. May be @CAPLS can throw more light on this issue and clear it out once and for all for us so no one ever has to go through what I went through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back