(De-Lurks)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFLuke

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Luke.

I'm a Transportation EIT in California. Took the PE Exam in October and passed, and am now in the licensing application stage. This board has a lot of great information! I do have a specific question which I'll post in the appropriate place but I'll keep this post to an introduction. I spend most of my professional working hours designing traffic calming treatments for a city with criminally insane drivers. For the most part I love my job. In my spare time, I'm probably engaged in one outdoor activity or another, especially running, skiing, and mountaineering.

I am on the longest, most winding road to getting a PE and one day I'll tell everyone about it.

Hi everyone, I'm Luke.

I'm a Transportation EIT in California. Took the PE Exam in October and passed, and am now in the licensing application stage. This board has a lot of great information! I do have a specific question which I'll post in the appropriate place but I'll keep this post to an introduction. I spend most of my professional working hours designing traffic calming treatments for a city with criminally insane drivers. For the most part I love my job. In my spare time, I'm probably engaged in one outdoor activity or another, especially running, skiing, and mountaineering.

I am on the longest, most winding road to getting a PE and one day I'll tell everyone about it.
Hi, and welcome officially to EB! We’re happy to have you as a posting member, and not simply a lurker. Although there are plenty of lurkers about too, which works for us if it works for all of them!

I’m a fellow CA engineer (albeit structural), and laughed at you saying you design for a city in CA that has criminally insane drivers. You really piqued my interest… I don’t suppose you’d be comfortable divulging this tidbit of info? If not here, than in a DM? I wonder if it’s my city, because I feel it very well could be! Also, what qualifies as a traffic calming device? That sounds like super interesting work!

Thanks! Our traffic calming ranges from the most basic speed hump to more complex projects like bulb-outs, traffic circles, and traffic diverters. Probably the most interesting project I’ve worked on built a traffic circle and carved ADA-accessible curb ramps and crosswalks into some steep terrain.

I mention behavior because even though advocates are reluctant to admit it, even the most nationally respected and effective traffic calming devices usually assume some baseline driver decency...

Welcome CFLuke =)

and yeah... trying to explain 85th percentile to most people just makes them anxious or angry (or both). traffic calming works on some drivers, but idiots abound. i know first hand because my business is built on investigating traffic collisions, and there doesnt appear to be any shortage of those in the near future.

Back