Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it sucks to be out 6 months of elevated salary and maybe 20 hours of studying because of the break & reviewing the material, this really was the right course of action. Schools and daycares are closing, peoples jobs are thrown into disarray, trying to work remote, the outright ban of mass gatherings, etc. It's chaos right now and this is or the best.
I’ve been studying for the last 24 weeks (6 days a week) that’s a little more than 20 hours of studying. 

there are testing centers every 10 miles in Florida. Could have easily broken down the testing to the Pearson locations where you don’t have more than 20-30 people in a room taking exams at a time. 

there are testing centers every 10 miles in Florida. Could have easily broken down the testing to the Pearson locations where you don’t have more than 20-30 people in a room taking exams at a time. 
It's not just Florida. Some states are in much different shape. See New York and Washington. 

Is everyone going to write to them? A 6 month wait is beyond outrageous. 

They have 0 respect for the test takers. 
Don't write to them. Be professional. This is a global pandemic. 

I’ve been studying for the last 24 weeks (6 days a week) that’s a little more than 20 hours of studying. 

Great for FL. In VT, there is 1 Pearson center.

Not all of the tests are available as CBT. And NCEES has requirements for how much space each examinee gets for a pen & paper test. The Pearson centers would not be able to accommodate the space requirements. 

I've been logging 10-15 hours a week since january of studying, I've made sacrifices and neglected my health to focus on this exam. I'm absolutely devastated that I have to do this all over again in October. 

What i mean by 20 hours was review of material you already covered. Lets say you stop studying today and dont pick it up again for 4 months. 20 hours (could be more, I dont know you) would allow you to review what youve covered, and get back into the swing of it. The time youve spent hasnt been lost, it's not gone, they didnt wipe your brain. It sucks, and you have a right to be upset, but to say they could have done XYZ instead is over reaching. I am very certain they did not make this decision lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That solves a few problems (number of people in exam room/ability to take the test), but doesn't address logistical issues on NCEES' side. To have NCEES try to find another solution in a month, given their procedures, practices, etc. would likely take a lot more effort and cause more issues for them than any of us realize.

As an engineer I'd prefer a working solution over a quick one.

Is everyone going to write to thank them? A 6 month wait is beyond outrageous totally understandable given the circumstances. 

They have the utmost 0 respect for the test takers, proctors, NCEES employees and the communities they live in. 
fify

All: Covid-19 isn't "just the flu". It's twice as contagious and the fatality rate is x10 higher. But the bigger concern is that 10-20% of those infected have serious complications the require extensive and prolonged medical attention. This is the sort of thing that takes up hospital beds, staff, and resources for weeks or longer. A massive outbreak will quickly overload the medical system and cascade causing excess deaths or complications for those infected and those affected by unrelated medical issues. The inflected double every six days without mitigation. Without mitigate efforts, the domestic afflictions will increase by a factor of nearly 64 by the time of the exam. The problems we are hearing about in Italy are real and getting worse. They are already making wartime triage decisions. Italy is only two weeks ahead of us. We're in a bear market with no obvious way to fix it. The mitigative actions many foriegn governments, and State and local governments are taking are designed to slow the spread of the virus- to "flatten the cruve" so that those who develop major complications from Covid-19 can be treated within the existing capacity of our medical infrastructure; and maybe buy some time for researchers to figure out better treatments, or a vaccine, and for more medical equipment to be produced. 

Let's keep some perspective here. The fact that 12k people will have to wait an extra six months to take an exam is barely registers on the list of things effected by the virus. Stay calm, stay healthy, and start studying again in a few months.

Oh we can still do a spam thread, it should have been started already, here's a potential title:

What will get cancelled next by COVID-19?

What would be real disastrous for me would be if they sent us all home to work AND daycare closed!!! 

How do you like it over there?

Me and my fiancée visited, she loved the place. Was thinking about moving around that area. 
It's awesome! Moved here in Aug 2019. 

So much to do, and the city is really booming. It's projectet to hit a growth spurt this year with jobs. There's so many outdoor activities, and the downtown has tons of awesome restaurants and local stuff. 

We don't miss FL one bit.

It's awesome! Moved here in Aug 2019. 

So much to do, and the city is really booming. It's projectet to hit a growth spurt this year with jobs. There's so many outdoor activities, and the downtown has tons of awesome restaurants and local stuff. 

We don't miss FL one bit.
Yeah we want to get out of Florida. I was going to wait until after the exam to start applying. But might just move that timeline.

Sorry to hear the news about the exam guys. It's crazy to think how quickly this has escalated even since Wednesday. In Denver they just cancelled all Catholic masses and gatherings. Everest expeditions are off. All NCAA sports. Sadly the Post Malone concert here wasn't cancelled last night but anyway.

One of my colleagues was booking a hotel for the PE on Monday and he was asking me where to stay and I gave him a few options, but at the last second I said you know they would never cancel the PE but in case there was an outbreak in that area and had to move the exam location maybe just find a hotel that has a cancelation policy. A lot has changed since the start of the week. Luckily he can cancel the hotel.

Wishing you guys the best of luck in deciding your next move! My advice would be just take the weekend that you thought you were going to have to be studying and just relax and regroup and then on Monday figure out your next move.

Back