Concrete Beam HW HELP!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithyjj199421

Reaction score
points) using ultimate strength design method determine the flexural steel required for an

interior concrete beam to span 26’-0”. Use #8 bars for the flexural steel. Solve for the number of

bars. The un-factored live load is 1300 plf. The un-factored dead load is 1100 plf and includes

the self-weight of the beam. The beam is 18” wide and 22” deep.

Reference Module 6

Lessons 6.1 and 6.2.

Fc'=4,000 psi

Fy=40,000 psi

Flexural Steel #8 Bars

_________

Load factors (live load, dead Load)

_________

wusd(load per plf)

_________

Maximum moment USD LB-FT

_________

Mmax USD theoretical LB-FT

_________

Mmax USD theoretical LB-INCHES

_________

b

_________

Minimum cover per code

_________

Effective depth d

_________

a Used

_________

As required per bending calculations

_________

As required per minimum steel ratio

_________

Final As required for flexural steel (from all calculations or minimum reinforcing ratio considerations)

_________

Required number of #8 bars

_________

It looks like you laid out the steps to solve this problem pretty much for yourself, so I'm not sure what help I could provide besides giving you the exact equations. However, I feel like you probably have access to the equations to calculate, for instance, load combinations, d, a, A_s-required, A_s-min, and then figure out the amount of #8 bars based on the area of a single #8 bar and the amount of A_s you need.

Good luck!

That looks like the problem statement period.  I think the op wants us to fill in the blanks.  What code does the problem want?  ACI 318?

Back