Company Announces Diesel-Powered, Range Extending Trailer for Electric Cars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Here's an idea that's just been waiting to find an investor and reach the mass-market. Indiana-based start-up, Electric Motors and Vehicle Company (EMAV), announced today that they will begin selling a towable, diesel-powered, range-extending trailer for electric cars starting late next year. Although there are numerous examples of homebaked contraptions that do the same thing, I believe EMAV is the first one to try and commercialize the concept.
EMAVs diesel-powered, towable range extender for electric vehicles is due to go on sale at some point late next year.

Officially called the Power Regeneration Unit (PRU), EMAV says their device is meant to extend the range of an EV by up to ten times on one tank of diesel while also providing extra cargo space for those long road trips.

"For electric cars to be truly viable for a mass consumer audience, we need to bridge the gap between low-range electric vehicles that can travel moderate distances to electric vehicles which can truly become the sole family vehicle," said Wil Cashen, founder and President, EMAV. "JD Power says that sales of electric vehicles will hit only two million in 2020–that is slow adoption, much due to the current range of these vehicles. Our goal is to move the marketplace beyond the first generation of electric vehicles to more powerful and rugged cars that also have endurance. This will evolve the electric car paradigm from a supplemental to a primary car for consumers."
More at: http://www.plugincars.com/company-launches...ler-101953.html

Seems like a good idea to offset the disadvatage of an electric car, range. Use an electric car for around town, then when you need to go on a trip, rent the trailer for 30 bucks a day. Be interesting to see how this idea goes over.

So... let me get this straight... a low-range, relatively low power electric vehicle with a structure not necessarily designed to be pulling a load behind it (much less a 1200+ lbm load), is expected to reliably exceed its intended design and purpose for a $15,000 anchor? Mmm hmmmmmm. :huh:

Doesn't this just turn an EV into a diesel-electric hybrid with the diesel engine outside of the car body? Why not just make a diesel-electric hybrid with an option to turn off the diesel engine when you want to run in plug-in only mode?

So... let me get this straight... a low-range, relatively low power electric vehicle with a structure not necessarily designed to be pulling a load behind it (much less a 1200+ lbm load), is expected to reliably exceed its intended design and purpose for a $15,000 anchor? Mmm hmmmmmm. :huh:
I wondered about the towing as well. The Leaf and the Tesla, so far as I know, aren't rated to tow. But since the Leaf is a Micro and the Tesla a Lotus Elise, I could be wrong.

Doesn't this just turn an EV into a diesel-electric hybrid with the diesel engine outside of the car body? Why not just make a diesel-electric hybrid with an option to turn off the diesel engine when you want to run in plug-in only mode?
What you described (except it is gas) is the Volt.

Ef em all. My next vehicle purchase is going to be a 3/4 ton pickem-up truck.

I wouldn't mind one of the new Chargers. They look awesome. I'd take a Challnger in a pinch.

Next they'll have powerless cars. You just roll down hill, and pull utility trailer with a diesel engine on it to extend your range (back up the hill).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a good idea to offset the disadvatage of an electric car, range. Use an electric car for around town, then when you need to go on a trip, rent the trailer for 30 bucks a day. Be interesting to see how this idea goes over.
Uh... for $30 a day, you could leave your electric car in the garage and rent a real car.

Uh... for $30 a day, you could leave your electric car in the garage and rent a real car.
Yes, but then how would everyone know how environmentallly superior you were?

It's all about show with the vast majority of the environmentalists.

I've long wanted a diesel-electric car, but adding an engine adds weight (decreasing efficiency) and cost as compared to an electric-only car. There's room in the market for both types.

Why can't a car be designed to be fueled by "warm fuzzies", hugs, and unicorn farts? Or will that be next year's unveiling?

Why can't a car be designed to be fueled by "warm fuzzies", hugs, and unicorn farts? Or will that be next year's unveiling?
There are still some issues with efficiently harvesting unicorn farts. That's really the only roadblock left.

Back