Colorblindness

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with colorblindness? How it has affected your life, especially as a kid?

I just confirmed that my 11 year old son has red-green colorblindness, specifically deuteranomaly (I think), which is the most common form. It seems sort of mild, in that sometimes he can distinguish red from green, but sometimes he seems to just not be able to see green.

I'm red green colorblind.

Other than people asking me the "So what color does this look like to you?" question about a million times, it hasn't been a big deal. It has only caused me two problems:

1. I need a meter to figure out resistor values since I suck at divining the color bands.

2. I had to jump through some hoops to satisfy the FAA requirements for flying at night.

^I was actually wondering about things such as restrictions on becoming a pilot, which was about all I could think of that would make it a "disability" for my son. But if you were able to get your license, then I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

I was quizzing him on traffic lights yesterday, and he always got it right. His trouble seems to be in lower light and with the darker shades. He apparently sees dark greens as purple.

But yeah, I was driving him nuts yesterday with a million questions and tests. He finally told me to F off, at least that's my translation!

You can be completely color blind and still get a pilot's license. It doesn't even slow you down for getting advanced ratings. I had my instrument ticket for three years before the night restriction annoyed me enough to do the additional testing to get it removed. The only restriction is that without adequate color perception, you can't fly after dark or under color signal control.

The only traffic lights I have ever had a problem with are a single flashing light over an intersection at night. Flashing yellow and flashing red tend to look a lot alike to me and if it's a single light I don't have a position in the tree to fall back on for indication.

My boss is color blind and sometimes has trouble readin our scada screens and knowing if pumps are on or off

I have a family member that is color blind for, to my knowledge, at least shades of Red. He now relies on his wife to tell him if a red sock accidentally got washed with the white clothes. Pink and white look the same to him and he has accidentally been dressed in pink unknowingly when he used to do his own wash... funny story to hear him tell. Macho guy that rides motorcycles, etc... :)

On the occasions I have to dress in something other than jeans, I make sure my wife isn't pi$$ed at me. She literally has the ability to dress me funny. I've wondered from time to time whether there is a market for Garanimals for grownups.

Back