Colorado Results and Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a response to this post:

To get licensed in Colorado, you don't need to send in a full application anymore. You do need an account with DORA.

There's a tab in NCEES called Multi-State Licensure. Follow those directions, because Colorado is one of the states that will be using your NCEES record for your initial licensure.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. I got my CO license in January of this year, and I know how to get through all the steps. 

Thanks for making this page. I was quite confused when Colorado first changed their requirements and we no longer had to submit experience and be "approved" for the exam. As of right now we will get results without having to contact or do anything with DORA correct? I'm sure many people will have questions once the results are released.

Thanks for making this page. I was quite confused when Colorado first changed their requirements and we no longer had to submit experience and be "approved" for the exam. As of right now we will get results without having to contact or do anything with DORA correct? I'm sure many people will have questions once the results are released.
Correct. You will get results on your NCEES dashboard before you need to apply with DORA.

The newer NCEES system sounds much better. Had my application submitted and complete to DORA and record send from NCEES within 10 minutes of getting results.

Had my NCEES record 99% complete for a while ready to send off.

I had my application processed (and approved) through DORA in Spring of 2019, verification, experience, etc. I finally got around to taking (and passing) the exam. Just waiting for NCEES to release results to DORA, the last step in my application. Not sure I need to do anything else now that the system has change? Congrats to anyone completing this milestone!

Passed yesterday, licensed today. Well that was speedy, no more ragging allowed on DORA.

@MadamPirate PE Did you have to have your transcripts sent to NCEES for validation before transferring the record to DORA? I though I remembered doing this when I received my FE but I may have verified my transcripts only with DORA when I passed the FE.

@MadamPirate PE Did you have to have your transcripts sent to NCEES for validation before transferring the record to DORA? I though I remembered doing this when I received my FE but I may have verified my transcripts only with DORA when I passed the FE.
Yes. It is a nominal cost to have your alma mater send transcripts to NCEES. Takes a couple weeks, so I had done it before I got the results for the PE exam last year.

Did any of you get your license verified through NCEES after it was all approved by DORA? If so, do you remember roughly how long it took to get verified?

@MadamPirate PE how long did it take for DORA to approve your application once submitted? I just finished my NCEES record, transmitted it to Colorado and applied to DORA. Hoping for a quick turnaround!

@MadamPirate PE how long did it take for DORA to approve your application once submitted? I just finished my NCEES record, transmitted it to Colorado and applied to DORA. Hoping for a quick turnaround!
It was less than a week.
I just double checked, I sent it in on a Friday afternoon, I had my license and number by the following Wednesday.

It was less than a week.
I just double checked, I sent it in on a Friday afternoon, I had my license and number by the following Wednesday.
That's great news! I called DORA and they said 6 weeks...glad to hear you got yours so quickly and hoping I do as well! It's like waiting for exam results all over again refreshing the page needlessly throughout the day. Thank you for the reply!

Starting this thread for some of the Colorado folx - @tunnelguy @drotleff and anyone else.

I'm happy to answer questions here about the licensing process in Colorado
If I have initial license in Wyoming and want to get Colorado license by endorsement, whats the procedure? How long will it take to get colorado license? what are colorado license requirements? I got my masters degree and have 3 years of experience.

I was initially licensed (Civil) in my home state ~10 years ago, at that time all licensing was done through the state board and I took the 8-hr NCEES test. A couple years ago I needed to get licensed in a few additional states, so I started an NCEES record. It took a few weeks to verify my experience, references, and transcript through NCEES, but it is the way to go if you need to be licensed in multiple states so you don't have to go through that process with each individual state. Once I had my NCEES record ready to go, I submitted my Colorado application and transmitted my NCEES record on a Saturday afternoon, and I believe I had my CO license by Monday afternoon. Other states still have additional requirements, but CO was by far the most painless once I had my NCEES record.

One other tip on NCEES - once you have your record ready to go, apply for every state you need within a year. After that you have to update your experience and reconfirm your references.

I was initially licensed (Civil) in my home state ~10 years ago, at that time all licensing was done through the state board and I took the 8-hr NCEES test. A couple years ago I needed to get licensed in a few additional states, so I started an NCEES record. It took a few weeks to verify my experience, references, and transcript through NCEES, but it is the way to go if you need to be licensed in multiple states so you don't have to go through that process with each individual state. Once I had my NCEES record ready to go, I submitted my Colorado application and transmitted my NCEES record on a Saturday afternoon, and I believe I had my CO license by Monday afternoon. Other states still have additional requirements, but CO was by far the most painless once I had my NCEES record.

One other tip on NCEES - once you have your record ready to go, apply for every state you need within a year. After that you have to update your experience and reconfirm your references.
Haven't you filled anything on dora?

Back