Clarification on FE waiving system

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denveronment

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I would be happy to get helped on understanding, whether I need to take a FE exam or not. I reside in Colorado, so I follow the requirements of Division of Professions and Occupations at Department of Regulatory Agencies of Colorado. I hold the Bachelor and Master Degrees in Environmental Field, but they have acquired out of US (Azerbaijan and Germany accordingly) and I am working with NCEES to get them waived. I have 7 years working experience as Environmental Professional in Construction and Oil/Gas fields, which is also happened out of USA (can waived them in a minute with my past companies). Now, I need to know, shall I get a FE before applying to EI or not? In EI application it asked me about FE exam and had a star on it, so date of exam was a must which surprised me. Thank you for any help and hints in advance!

Not sure if this helps, but here is the legal stuff from State of Colorado.

If you have already read this from board's website, then do ignore this post!!

good luck!!!

quick glance from legal stuff - I think ! ( I could be easily be wrong. ) - you might just have to bite the bullet and take the F.E. exam!!

again, good luck !!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

all of below can be accessed from this website : State Board of Licensure for Architects, Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors: Laws, Rules and Policies | Division of Professions and Occupations

Read this by clicking on this title : Articles 1 & 20: General Provisions

Read this by clicking on this title ( portion has been copied and pasted below ) : Engineers, Surveyors, and Architects Practice Acts (Combined Article 120)

12-120-210. Eligibility for engineer-intern. To be eligible for enrollment as an
engineer-intern, an applicant shall provide documentation of the applicant's technical
competence.
Source: L. 2019: Entire title R&RE with relocations, (HB 19-1172), ch. 136, p. 885, § 1,
effective October 1.
Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 12-25-111 as it existed prior to 2019.

12-120-211. Qualifications for engineer-interns. (1) An applicant may qualify for
enrollment as an engineer-intern by endorsement if the applicant satisfies the requirements of the
occupational credential portability program.
(2) (a) An applicant may qualify for enrollment as an engineer-intern by graduation and
examination if the applicant passes the fundamentals of engineering examination.
(b) In order to be admitted to the examination pursuant to subsection (2)(a) of this
section, the applicant must:
(I) Have graduated from a board-approved engineering or engineering technology
curriculum of four or more years; or
(II) Have senior status in a board-approved engineering or engineering technology
curriculum of four or more years.
(c) Upon passing the examination and the submission of official transcripts verifying
graduation or impending graduation, the applicant shall be enrolled as an engineer-intern if the
applicant is otherwise qualified pursuant to section 12-120-210.
(3) (a) An applicant may qualify for enrollment as an engineer-intern by graduation,
experience, and examination if the applicant passes the fundamentals of engineering examination
and possesses a total of six years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational
study may be a part.
(b) In order to be admitted to the examination pursuant to subsection (3)(a) of this
(I) Have graduated from an engineering curriculum of four or more years not approved
by the board or from a related science curriculum of four or more years; and
(II) Have four years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part.
(c) Upon passing the examination and the submission of evidence of experience
satisfactory to the board, the applicant shall be enrolled as an engineer-intern if the applicant is
otherwise qualified pursuant to section 12-120-210.
(4) (a) An applicant may qualify for enrollment as an engineer-intern by experience and
examination if the applicant passes the fundamentals of engineering examination.
(b) In order to be admitted to the examination pursuant to subsection (4)(a) of this
(I) Have graduated from high school or its equivalent; and

Colorado Revised Statutes 2021 Uncertified Printout

Page 15 of 41

(II) Have six years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part.
satisfactory to the board, the applicant shall be enrolled as an engineer-intern if the applicant is
otherwise qualified pursuant to section 12-120-210.
Source: L. 2019: Entire title R&RE with relocations, (HB 19-1172), ch. 136, p. 885, § 1,
effective October 1. L. 2020: (1) amended, (HB 20-1326), ch. 126, p. 533, § 11, effective June

Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 12-25-112 as it existed prior to 2019.

Cross references: For the short title ("Red Tape Reduction Act") and the legislative
declaration in HB 20-1326, see sections 1 and 2 of chapter 126, Session Laws of Colorado 2020.

12-120-212. Eligibility for professional engineer. To be eligible for licensing as a
professional engineer, an applicant shall provide documentation of the applicant's technical
competence.
Source: L. 2019: Entire title R&RE with relocations, (HB 19-1172), ch. 136, p. 886, § 1,
effective October 1.

Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 12-25-113 as it existed prior to 2019.

12-120-213. Qualifications for professional engineer. (1) An applicant may qualify
for licensing as a professional engineer by endorsement if the applicant satisfies the requirements
of the occupational credential portability program.
(2) (a) An applicant may qualify for licensing as a professional engineer by graduation,
experience, and examination if the applicant passes the principles and practice of engineering
examination.
(b) In order to be admitted to the examination pursuant to subsection (2)(a) of this
(I) (A) Have graduated from a board-approved engineering curriculum of four or more
years; and
(B) Have eight years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part; and
(C) Have been enrolled as an engineer-intern in this state; or
(II) (A) Have graduated from a board-approved engineering technology curriculum of
four or more years; and
(B) Have ten years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part; and

Page 16 of 41

(III) (A) Have graduated from an engineering curriculum of four or more years not
approved by the board or from a related science curriculum of four or more years; and
(B) Have ten years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part; and
(IV) (A) Have graduated from an engineering curriculum of four or more years or from a
related science curriculum of four or more years; and
(B) Have twenty years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational
study may be a part.
satisfactory to the board, the applicant shall be licensed as a professional engineer if the applicant
is otherwise qualified pursuant to section 12-120-212.
(3) (a) An applicant may qualify for licensing as a professional engineer by experience
and examination if the applicant passes the principles and practice of engineering examination.
(b) In order to be admitted to the examination pursuant to subsection (3)(a) of this
(I) Have twelve years of progressive engineering experience, of which educational study
may be a part; and
(II) Have been enrolled as an engineer-intern in this state.
satisfactory to the board, the applicant shall be licensed as a professional engineer if the applicant
is otherwise qualified pursuant to section 12-120-212.
(4) (a) A professional engineer who has been duly licensed to practice engineering in this
state and who is over sixty-five years of age, upon application, may be classified as a retired
professional engineer. Individuals who are so classified shall lose their licensure, shall not
practice engineering, and shall pay a fee to retain retired professional engineer status.
(b) (I) A retired professional engineer shall be reinstated to the status of a professional
engineer upon payment of the renewal fee. No other fee shall be assessed against the retired
professional engineer as a penalty.
(II) For any professional engineer who has been retired for two or more years, the board
may require reexamination unless the board is satisfied of the retired professional engineer's
continued competence.
Source: L. 2019: Entire title R&RE with relocations, (HB 19-1172), ch. 136, p. 887, § 1,
effective October 1. L. 2020: (1) amended, (HB 20-1326), ch. 126, p. 533, § 12, effective June
Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 12-25-114 as it existed prior to 2019.

Page 17 of 41

Cross references: For the short title ("Red Tape Reduction Act") and the legislative
declaration in HB 20-1326, see sections 1 and 2 of chapter 126, Session Laws of Colorado 2020.

Last edited:
Back