Christmas Decorations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
Thread is in response to RG talking about the idea of putting the lights on a timer.

I run all of my Christmas lights from the 'outlets' that I plug into exterior light bulb sockets.

That way, I can turn all of my exterior Christmas lights on by FLIPPING a switch. The front porch lights switch.

Light_Bulb_Socket_Plug_Adaptor_mini.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got all my exterior lights running on a timer that turns on at ~5:15, and off at ~10:30. Once we get the tree up (and decorated), that will also be on a timer, set to turn on at ~6:00, and off at ~10:30. I like RGs idea of running a wire through the yard. I have a pine tree in fornt of my house that I put lights on, and have to run a green extension cord to that just lays on top of the grass/snow. Come spring, I might just bury it.

I have a couple of these

time-count-down-select-outdoor-mechanical-electric-photocell-timer-xs0103090720c.jpg

it's a photocell outdoor timer. The lights come on when it goes dark and turn off after a set amount of time. You can also set them to stay on from dawn till dusk

^I'm using a version of the same thing with three outlets and a weather cover. It works pretty well.

I have a 3' tall Christmas tree on my plant ledge inside my house. That is the extent of my Christmas decorations...and the only reason I put it up this year is because the family will be eating at my house during the holidays. I haven't put it up in the last several years because my old house didn't have a plant ledge and my cat likes to un-decorate the tree.

Thread is in response to RG talking about the idea of putting the lights on a timer.

I run all of my Christmas lights from the 'outlets' that I plug into exterior light bulb sockets.

That way, I can turn all of my exterior Christmas lights on by FLIPPING a switch. The front porch lights switch.

Light_Bulb_Socket_Plug_Adaptor_mini.jpg
I don't see any grounds there.

Mine are connected to two extension cords that run into the basement to the same location. I plug-in and unplug the cords to turn the ligths on and off.

I don't see any grounds there.
Mine are connected to two extension cords that run into the basement to the same location. I plug-in and unplug the cords to turn the ligths on and off.
I don't think I've ever seen Christmas lights with a ground prong. They are usually those stackable, two prong plugs. Then again, I've never decorated the exterior of my house.

I usually run an extension cord through a window and plug/unplug as necessary. We do have a timer this year, so I might use that.

The 7.5' inside tree stays on pretty much all the tiime, the 6' nside tree I plug and unplug.

I just open the door and plug/unplug the lights. I only have 3 strings outlining the front roofline all plugged into a single extension cord that plugs into a socket 2 ft from the front door. I would use a timer, but the only one I have is an interior only one and I'm too cheap to buy one. I'm sure once I buy a house I will get a little more elaborate with the setup.

I have a timer on both sides of my house to turn the lights on and off. One of them has 6 outlets while the other only has one, so I have to get more creative with extension cords on that side.

Mine is self-dimming, but the light has a relatively short life span.

christmas.jpg

^^Looks like a Griswold approved hookup!

We got a couple exterior outlets - just run extension cords from one of those low tech push/pull type of timer dials to whatever trees we wanna light. Pretty small window of time afforded for doing it before you just say its too f'n cold to d!ck with it, which is about now. We did however get 2 trees 'wired' before end of Nov., so good nuff for this season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back