Chicago

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
CHICAGO—A larger-than-expected exodus over the past 10 years reduced the population of Chicago to a level not seen in nearly a century.
The U.S. Census Bureau reported Tuesday that during the decade ended in 2010, Chicago's population fell 6.9% to 2,695,598 people, fewer than the 2.7 million reported back in 1920.

After peaking at 3.62 million people in 1950, Chicago underwent a half century of decline that ended only when the 1990s boom years produced a small gain in the 2000 count. At that time, the city loudly celebrated its comeback.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...oWhatsNewsThird

Maybe people are trying to get out befre Rahm becomes Mayor.

The more expensive it is to live there, the fewer people will chose to do so.

more likely trying to avoid the city taxes. Chicago has/had a sales tax of 10%.
This.

I would expect New York City to experience this same trend only bigger. They have been taxing the hell out of the millionaires and business owners that live in NYC. They just recently started auditing residents that claim to spend the majority of their time at residences outside of the city to avoid paying resident taxes. They are eventually going to drive all of the rich people out of town and find that they have even less tax revenue than when they started.

I dunno, I tend to think of NYC in a different league than Chicago. When I think Chicago, I think crappy roads, seriously corrupt politicians, and crime crime crime. Granted, I'm sure NYC has its share of that, but it's still in a different league, having things like the financial center of Wall Street, entertainment center of Broadway, etc etc.

But I ain't moving to either of them. Texas is where I plan to stay. I don't have the desire to visit either of them (been to Chicago several times, but never to NYC... seen it from NJ though).

more likely trying to avoid the city taxes. Chicago has/had a sales tax of 10%.

I live in the city, but luckily live on the border and most of my shopping is a little lower (though suburban cook county's taxes are still pretty high).

Despite the taxes and the tough upcoming years, I enjoy living in the city. I have a 25 min train ride to work. I can walk to grocery store, schools, church, restaurant, bars, etc. Before my wife started working, we had one car.

I think a lot of the flight to the outer counties was also driven by people's taste in homes (bigger, newer). There is no land to build new subdivisions and even if you knock down, the lots are typically smaller. However, there are a number of affordable priced single family home neighborhoods that are safe and have good schools if you can deal with a smaller 1930s home.

I dunno, I tend to think of NYC in a different league than Chicago. When I think Chicago, I think crappy roads, seriously corrupt politicians, and crime crime crime. Granted, I'm sure NYC has its share of that, but it's still in a different league, having things like the financial center of Wall Street, entertainment center of Broadway, etc etc.
But I ain't moving to either of them. Texas is where I plan to stay. I don't have the desire to visit either of them (been to Chicago several times, but never to NYC... seen it from NJ though).
There are plenty of places to live just outside of NYC that aren't subject to their taxes, but will allow you to easily commute to work in the city.

^But the cost of living is equally prohibitive to many. Try to find a reasonably priced house in Scarsdale, Pleasantville, Bedford, etc.
I'm talking about the rich people that live in downtown Manhattan. They are the ones that are getting taxed to hell to pay for mismanagement of the city government. If they move out, you'd have to tax the rest of the people at 200% to make up the difference.

Back