CERM old version vs new

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resa228

Reaction score
I have the 11th edition which I believe was the first year that construction was included. Has the book changed enough to justify purchasing the newest edition (14)?

I took (and passed) the PE-Water Resources/Env. exam in April 2014 using the 10th edition, which was loaned to me from my boss when he took it 4 years before me. As has been said countless times before, this book is an invaluable resource, especially for the AM portion. I don't recall having any issues finding what I needed for the AM portion somewhere in the CERM.

Having said that, I would take a good look at the updated exam specifications with regards to the topics in the CERM. Even the 14th edition does not include these updates, but they will be updated in the future (according to the PPI website). It is really a matter of being comfortable with where to find the material in the CERM. Depending on which PM discipline you are taking, the references that Lindeburg used can be outdated in the 11th edition you currently have, mainly dealing with transportation. If your PM discipline is intense on code-specific requirements that are updated every few years, you will most likely have copies of these references anyways, and won't need to refer to the CERM to answer these questions.

I hope this addresses your concern. Just remember that whichever version you have, be familiar with it and know where everything is located.

I have CERM 10 and that's what I'm taking to battle.....

I also used the 10th and passed the 8-hour last October. I had used the 10th to study for the EIT and the PE, it also has been (still is) my main reference I use at work. I did take a look at the 13th before my test, just to see if it would be worth the purchase. I did not find too many things different. If you know someone with the newer version, you could always photocopy the appropriate sections like construction staking and concrete formwork. Bottom line, use and take to the exam only the references which are the most comfortable and familiar. These should be the ones you used for the majority of your studying. Good Luck.

Are they the new sections? Staking and formwork?? I'll do some creative internet sleuthing this weekend.

Ooooohhhh I had a brown cover one ... sold that on Amazon

Not a fan of the CERM. I know I'm going to get beat up over this but it was useless on the exam. The textbooks I brought, Goswami All-In-One, School of PE notes, and my equation book I made was all I needed. I used the CERM when studying and found it helpful for that but the actual exam itself not so much. I think I had the 13th edition and sold it on eBay as soon as I found out I passed. I would definitely play it safe and at least pick up an older copy if you don't have one. It's better to have and not need it than that to need it and not have it.

Not a fan of the CERM. I know I'm going to get beat up over this but it was useless on the exam. The textbooks I brought, Goswami All-In-One, School of PE notes, and my equation book I made was all I needed. I used the CERM when studying and found it helpful for that but the actual exam itself not so much. I think I had the 13th edition and sold it on eBay as soon as I found out I passed. I would definitely play it safe and at least pick up an older copy if you don't have one. It's better to have and not need it than that to need it and not have it.

I think the All-In-One is a sufficient substitute for the CERM (although I had both). Nothing beats that spectacular CERM index.....

No, no need to bring the CERM, if you practice enough for a long time, while university books explains all theories and derivation of certain formulas, sample and problems as well which is helpful too, CERM is just a collection of basic formulas and simple sample problems, charts, and etc, nothing too special and not a must for the exam.

No, no need to bring the CERM, if you practice enough for a long time, while university books explains all theories and derivation of certain formulas, sample and problems as well which is helpful too, CERM is just a collection of basic formulas and simple sample problems, charts, and etc, nothing too special and not a must for the exam.
That is one of the longest sentences with the most commas I have ever seen! ;)

On my exam day, I looked around at the hundreds of examinees and the Examinee:CERM ratio was 1:1 as far as I could tell. The CERM is more than basic formulas. It includes nearly all formulas you might need in the AM and many of the formulas you'll need in the PM. In fact, my complaint about the CERM is it has too much information! Like all that 'Background and Support' stuff? Take it out PPI! As I said before, the CERM index is awesome. I remember a question that I had no clue how to answer, I took the question's "keyword", looked it up in the CERM's index, turned to the page, and there was my answer. An unanswerable question (to me) turned out to be a 1.5 minute question. I don't think it is good advice to suggest that an examinee not bring the CERM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good response ptatohed, but

Remember-Don-t-Feed-the-Trolls-fanpop-22675484-412-341.jpg

Back