CBT TESTING - 2022

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tab the NCEES reference manual (which lacks information and formulas) to learn where things are and go to them quicker (on the cbt exam I'll know where to look)
The NCEES reference manual that will be available to us online won't be tabbed so I don't understand why spending the time tabbing the manual will help you in the exam. In my opinion, I think it's more beneficial to use the search function to understand what sections get pulled up when you use key words from whatever problem you are trying to solve. The reference manual is over 500 pages, so it would be very difficult to remember where everything is in the manual on top of all the concepts you need to remember. Just my two cents.

The NCEES reference manual that will be available to us online won't be tabbed so I don't understand why spending the time tabbing the manual will help you in the exam. In my opinion, I think it's more beneficial to use the search function to understand what sections get pulled up when you use key words from whatever problem you are trying to solve. The reference manual is over 500 pages, so it would be very difficult to remember where everything is in the manual on top of all the concepts you need to remember. Just my two cents.
Manual has bookmarks with chapters, if that helps

I took the EI on the CBT format, every single course out there tells you that you need to know the reference manual like the back of your hand. For the PE is the exact same thing, you need to know the reference manual or you'll be loosing time scrolling through the pages. Tabs help to learn page numbers quicker and know where to look. Bookmarks do help for the reference books; search for the word "stopping side distance" in the greenbook and you'll spend more than 5 minutes looking for the correct one. I do think that we should be able to bring references in the exam room but that's another topic.

It does. I think using the Search function first before looking through the bookmarks is a more efficient way of finding the reference material you need for a problem.
That's debatable. It depends on the test taker and how familiar they already are with the reference material or code provided.

I took my CBT exam last week in Civil: Construction. I used PPI to prep, the downside was that the focus was still on using the CERM, not the NCEES reference manual. I focused for 3 months on only using the digital versions of the available codes and practising which key words to know to quickly find the topic I needed. The tricky part is the OSHA is renamed as CFR something or other in the available links, not OSHA, so pay attention when searching for the relevant info.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer if I can.

Thanks your posting! I am taking the exam next week. One of the only references that I have not been able to find digital copy of is the ASCE 37-14. Did you find the key word search faster, or looking at the table of contents and going to the section you are looking for before using the search feature?

I took the EET depth course and had essentially the same approach as you. EET did a good job referencing the new manual, instead of the CERM. I am sure PPI is still referencing the CERM because it is their own publication and they stand to make money off the sales.

I will never understand why this critical information is being monetized so heavily, I think we would all be better of if this information was freely available, not kept in expensive and inaccessible silos. I am happy that NCEES has compiled the reference handbook, and I hope they continue expand the manuals and reduce the amount of required references so engineers can better themselves.

Thanks your posting! I am taking the exam next week. One of the only references that I have not been able to find digital copy of is the ASCE 37-14. Did you find the key word search faster, or looking at the table of contents and going to the section you are looking for before using the search feature?

I took the EET depth course and had essentially the same approach as you. EET did a good job referencing the new manual, instead of the CERM. I am sure PPI is still referencing the CERM because it is their own publication and they stand to make money off the sales.

I will never understand why this critical information is being monetized so heavily, I think we would all be better of if this information was freely available, not kept in expensive and inaccessible silos. I am happy that NCEES has compiled the reference handbook, and I hope they continue expand the manuals and reduce the amount of required references so engineers can better themselves.
I found the Table of Contents to be the faster option, keyword searches come up with hundreds of options.

Anyone who has taken CBT exams, especially construction depth: I believe we are not allowed to bring any reference material to the exam, so should I assume that the questions would be written in a way that all the eqns that you need would either be in the NCEES reference manual or in the relevant design standard?

I took my CBT exam last week in Civil: Construction. I used PPI to prep, the downside was that the focus was still on using the CERM, not the NCEES reference manual. I focused for 3 months on only using the digital versions of the available codes and practising which key words to know to quickly find the topic I needed. The tricky part is the OSHA is renamed as CFR something or other in the available links, not OSHA, so pay attention when searching for the relevant info.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer if I can.
I believe we are not allowed to bring any reference material to the exam, so should I assume that the questions would be written in a way that all the eqns that you need would either be in the NCEES reference manual or in the relevant design standard?

I believe we are not allowed to bring any reference material to the exam, so should I assume that the questions would be written in a way that all the eqns that you need would either be in the NCEES reference manual or in the relevant design standard?
Correct, half of your screen is the questions, the other half is the reference materials. If you put in the time in advance, and know where to look then there are no issues finding what you need. I used the NCEES reference manual for 85% of the questions, and the OSHA CFR's for the other parts. I don't recall looking through any of the SPI or other concrete reference manuals provided.

Correct, half of your screen is the questions, the other half is the reference materials. If you put in the time in advance, and know where to look then there are no issues finding what you need. I used the NCEES reference manual for 85% of the questions, and the OSHA CFR's for the other parts. I don't recall looking through any of the SPI or other concrete reference manuals provided.
Thanks. So one should not really focus on the practice questions/concepts that are not referenced in the NCEES PE manual?

Thanks. So one should not really focus on the practice questions/concepts that are not referenced in the NCEES PE manual?
I'm sure there are many ways to prepare. I can't answer you directly. I can say I used PPI, and went through their practice exams, diagnostic exams and programs extensively until my pass rate went from 50%, to 70% to 90%. I used the practice exams to find my weaknesses, then drilled down and worked through hundreds of problems until I was comfortable with the materials.

The OSHA CFR was provided as well for the exam?

I just took the construction exam on Wednesday here in CA. It was a good experience, waiting to find out results. All the listed references were provided under a separate tab than the handbook, documents would open by chapter. This makes searching the documents faster, and is nice to see the names of the chapter you are clicking on to help narrow down the search. I found EET to be helpful in organizing what you will actually be tested on durring the exam, and how it correlates to the construction depth material & relevant references.

I just took the construction exam on Wednesday here in CA. It was a good experience, waiting to find out results. All the listed references were provided under a separate tab than the handbook, documents would open by chapter. This makes searching the documents faster, and is nice to see the names of the chapter you are clicking on to help narrow down the search. I found EET to be helpful in organizing what you will actually be tested on durring the exam, and how it correlates to the construction depth material & relevant references.
Thanks for the feedback and good luck on your results! I sit this coming Tuesday.

Back