CBT prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all - I'm a long-time lurker who just failed the Civil - Construction depth for the 2nd time.  All of my professional experience is in environmental consulting (remediation/site assessment) and mostly as a project manager.  For whatever reason I felt that the Construction depth was a catch-all, but after the second time failing it I think I need to take the exam where I have the most experience...

That said, I'm apprehensive about the Environmental exam because of that lack of reference material.  Going by just the provided handbook is concerning.  Is there a review course program that folks can recommend?  I used SOPE for my FE review and passed.  This last round on the Civil - Construction depth, I took a local review class at NC State that I thought was helpful but ultimately not... 

Hey all - I'm a long-time lurker who just failed the Civil - Construction depth for the 2nd time.  All of my professional experience is in environmental consulting (remediation/site assessment) and mostly as a project manager.  For whatever reason I felt that the Construction depth was a catch-all, but after the second time failing it I think I need to take the exam where I have the most experience...

That said, I'm apprehensive about the Environmental exam because of that lack of reference material.  Going by just the provided handbook is concerning.  Is there a review course program that folks can recommend?  I used SOPE for my FE review and passed.  This last round on the Civil - Construction depth, I took a local review class at NC State that I thought was helpful but ultimately not... 
Welcome @NCHomebrewer! I'm so sorry to hear you failed.  I'm happy to answer any questions you may have (I too am in remediation and site assessment!) I found studying for the exam challenging since a good portion of it is in air and water/wastewater treatment (and there's a reason I avoided those subjects professionally! Haha).  EET helped me pass. Their water resources/Env depth review was really what I was needing to put me over the edge, since I was so weak in water/wastewater.   I will caution that I took the exam during the last paper cycle, so you don't get to take in the depth binder with you. However, if you're already used to the civil AM breadth and have scored pretty well in it, may be worth considering taking the Civil: Water Resources/Env exam depth.

It was certainly disappointing but I spent the last few days researching the environmental exam.  A co-worker who recently passed the CBT shared her study materials so I could get a feel for some of topics and questions.  I’m absolutely kicking myself - what was I thinking taking the Construction exam?  All of my work experience is on the environmental consulting side.  I’m concerned about the waste water and air sections though as I don’t have any practical experience there.  My co-worker felt similarly but thought her prep course and material from PPI was helpful.  Going through this thread it looks like PPI is recommended and some folks felt their prep questions were on par with the exam.  Is that the general consensus?  

It was certainly disappointing but I spent the last few days researching the environmental exam.  A co-worker who recently passed the CBT shared her study materials so I could get a feel for some of topics and questions.  I’m absolutely kicking myself - what was I thinking taking the Construction exam?  All of my work experience is on the environmental consulting side.  I’m concerned about the waste water and air sections though as I don’t have any practical experience there.  My co-worker felt similarly but thought her prep course and material from PPI was helpful.  Going through this thread it looks like PPI is recommended and some folks felt their prep questions were on par with the exam.  Is that the general consensus?  
I've heard differing opinions on PPI. I personally did not do it and can't speak to it, but I know others who have who weren't really happy with it.

I've heard differing opinions on PPI. I personally did not do it and can't speak to it, but I know others who have who weren't really happy with it.
I'm definitely looking for a solid review course, preferably one that is on-demand, to help get me up to speed on the topics that I'm less familiar on.  Do folks have any recommendations?  I used SOPE for my FE review and while it was helpful, I know that I only passed because I worked through a ton of practice problems after completing the refresher videos.  After doing some online searching, the PPI review course isn't that highly rated.  Is SOPE what most folks are using for a review/refresher course?  

I'm definitely looking for a solid review course, preferably one that is on-demand, to help get me up to speed on the topics that I'm less familiar on.  Do folks have any recommendations?  I used SOPE for my FE review and while it was helpful, I know that I only passed because I worked through a ton of practice problems after completing the refresher videos.  After doing some online searching, the PPI review course isn't that highly rated.  Is SOPE what most folks are using for a review/refresher course?  
I did SoPE the first two attempts. Granted I didn't work through as many practice problems as I should have, so that's on me. But I failed.  The third attempt I did EET.  They do not have an enviro-specific review, but there's enough overlap with their Water Resources/Environmental review if you're weak in those topics like I was.  Nazrul is a wonderful teacher, and you get SO. MANY practice problems and three or four 4-hour exams to practice with.  You won't get to take in their nice binder with you for CBT, and you'll need to find a supplemental review for the air topics (which I found challenging - I used my old SoPE notes), but I absolutely credit EET with helping me pass. 

I just took the Enviro CBT in October and passed. I took SoPE and worked through PPI's Environmental PE Practice, PPI's Environmental PE Practice Exams & NCEES' Practice Exam. The SoPE provides a great refresher course (and from what I saw on these forums, was the most highly recommended for Enviro), but I don't feel that they provide enough problems. If you decide to go with SoPE, I highly recommend that you purchase supplemental materials and practice as many problems as you can. 

Thanks @CHouse and @txjennah PE!  I appreciate the feedback and recommendations.  I'm leaning strongly towards taking the SoPE review course and then working a ton of review problems.  If I still feel like I'm not where I need to be, I'm going to look into the EET depth review.  I want to take this once and pass it - after failing the construction depth twice I'm ready to slay this exam.  

Thanks @CHouse and @txjennah PE!  I appreciate the feedback and recommendations.  I'm leaning strongly towards taking the SoPE review course and then working a ton of review problems.  If I still feel like I'm not where I need to be, I'm going to look into the EET depth review.  I want to take this once and pass it - after failing the construction depth twice I'm ready to slay this exam.  
You've got this! Best of luck! And if you need help with anything else, we're here for you :)

Has anyone found a solid set of flash cards for review prep?  I’ve searched on google and amazon without much luck.  If it comes to it I could always make my own.

Hello everyone!

I took the Environmental PE exam on Dec. 23rd and failed. 😕 Before my exam, I took the PPI2Pass live online class and worked as many extra questions as I could. I felt like I was adequately prepared for the quantitative questions but sorely unprepared for the qualitative. I am just now getting back in the saddle and this time I took to the internet first to find some advice, which landed me here (thank you all for the thread). 

I saw what some of you recommended, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions on things to study to better prepare me for the qualitative material. I am currently in the civil field (BS in environmental) so I am worried that I do not have sufficient experience to answer some of the qualitative question. Also, many of you listed "Intro to Environmental Engineering" but there are many of those books out there, which ones in particular?    

Thank you for your help!

Hey @Aspiring_Engineer, I haven't taken the PE Environmental CBT yet but as someone who has failed the Construction depth twice, please keep your head up!  There's no shame in failing.  You at least had the experience of sitting for the exam and you'll be familiar with the exam room and Pearson center policies for your next attempt.  I'm curious as well for prep suggestions for the qualitative material.  It seems very much either you know it or you're out of luck.  I'm taking SoPE and going through their review notes which is a little helpful but definitely not all encompassing.  

@Aspiring Engineer @NCHomebrewer I thought that SoPE had some great qualitative review in their OnDemand course (they also provided qualitative questions for all major exam topics), and I think that working an abundance of quantitative problems and really understanding the underlying concepts can provide you with a great foundation for tackling these qualitative questions. I think @EngMel gave some great advice in the "Qualitative Material" thread by suggesting that you watch free review videos online that cover Intro to Environmental Engineering topics. I've heard instructors recommend that you use whatever Intro to EVE Engineering book you used in college, as purchasing a new book that you're completely unfamiliar with can create stress and confusion. Wishing you both the best of luck! Please know that you have our continued support!

Hey @Aspiring_Engineer, I haven't taken the PE Environmental CBT yet but as someone who has failed the Construction depth twice, please keep your head up!  There's no shame in failing.  You at least had the experience of sitting for the exam and you'll be familiar with the exam room and Pearson center policies for your next attempt.  I'm curious as well for prep suggestions for the qualitative material.  It seems very much either you know it or you're out of luck.  I'm taking SoPE and going through their review notes which is a little helpful but definitely not all encompassing.  
Hey!  We have almost the same situation!  I was a consultant in the NYC Brownfields area and decided to attempt the Construction exam twice (failed twice), and then passed on the third attempt when I finally switched to the Enviro exam.  I did take the paper exam, so my situation is slightly different, but I used SoPE to study for that.  I did their on-demand/virtual classroom program, where I watched the 'live' classes during the week and then my weekend were used to 're-watch' and to work through all the problems.  I kept my life on a really strict schedule.  With the on-demand, it was nice because I could 'watch' previous versions of the classes before they ran and could highlight where I thought I was weak.

If I had to take the exam now, with only the NCEES ref, I wouldn't change too much except I would include that hardcopy and cross-ref to see where things were in the book.  Yes, ctrl+F is great, but sometimes NCEES words things differently or has a formula that seems bonkers (but while studying you figured out a way easier formula).  It's the same exam/same time, so I think you need to put the same amount of effort into studying and can't just rely on the ref having everything.  At least familiarize yourself with the ref completely before you get in.

For qualitative stuff, if you've done a tooooon of field work, they're pretty straight forward tbh?  When I took my exam I kinda felt like, "****, I know this?" since a lot seemed to be based on knowledge you couldn't easily find in a book.  The civil/construction exam would help you as well on some of this qualitative stuff since I know that involved a lot of soil property information.

It's been a while since I checked in.  I was making pretty good progress through SOPE's on-demand review and then COVID-19 hit.  Schools were cancelled and we had no child care for our three year old.  I had to prioritize work and taking care of my three year old son.  By the time he would go to sleep, I usually had to work a few hours to make up what I had missed during the day.  Studying became a last priority and I did very little for the last six weeks.  Pearson also ended up moving my exam date from early May to mid-June.  

Daycare is finally back open again and I'm working from home.  This is giving me a much better work/life balance where I can actually get back into studying again.  I only have about six weeks before the exam (if it's not cancelled again) and I'm going to just sprint through what I can.  My plan is to work through as many problems (SOPE, PPI, & NCEES Practice Exam) as I can for about 2 - 3 hrs. per day.  

It's far from ideal, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.  I have a lot of industry experience so I'm hopeful that the relatively high percentage of qualitative questions can help push me though.  If not, I will at least have the experience of taking the exam and will be able to better prepare for next time.  With everything going on in the world it's hard to say exactly when the next opportunity to take the exam will be.   

Hi my fellow enviros this is a lovely thread which so much information. Congratulations to those who passed. I gave the exam last Thursday and unfortunately found out that I didn’t pass. I found the first part of the exam easier than the second. I struggled with quite a few problems in remediation, waste in the second section. My main sources of study were the Schneiter’s practice exams and practice problems. Looking for advice for the strategy to study for the second attempt. Should I take a course or work through Lindeberg manual. Any advice will be appreciated.Thanks!

Hi my fellow enviros this is a lovely thread which so much information. Congratulations to those who passed. I gave the exam last Thursday and unfortunately found out that I didn’t pass. I found the first part of the exam easier than the second. I struggled with quite a few problems in remediation, waste in the second section. My main sources of study were the Schneiter’s practice exams and practice problems. Looking for advice for the strategy to study for the second attempt. Should I take a course or work through Lindeberg manual. Any advice will be appreciated.Thanks!
Hi Env01!  I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass.  So I will have to preface any of my advice with the fact that I passed the last P&P round, so haven't taken the CBT.  That being said, for my passing attempt, I didn't really touch the Lindeberg manual.  I didn't find the practice problems to be useful, as I didn't feel they were similar to the kinds of questions you get on the exam.

What is your strength with the other topics? (Air, water). If you are stronger in those subjects, then I'd recommend School of PE.  Their air section is weak, but they have a strong remediation review.  

Been a while, so checking in with folks.  I moved my exam date to end of September.  Covid has been a huge disruptor and between work, child care, and selfcare, studying has taken a lower priority.  That said, I picked up the PPI practice problems and practice exams.  SoPE is a great review but in my limited time I think it would help to focus on working through problems.  It's not really ideal but I know a lot of folks are in similar situations.  At least Env is CBT!  I wouldn't be surprised if the October P&P tests are cancelled again.  

Been real quiet here - has anyone taken the CBT during the pandemic? Are testing centers open? How is everyone studying and preparing for the PE during the pandemic? 

Been chugging through PPI practice problems/review.  Just started the two Schneider practice tests this week.  My plan is to work through these and the NCEES practice test until my exam at the end of September.  My exam date hasn't changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it does with all the Covid-craziness going on.

Back