Can we really be Excellent at Anything?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
After reading "Outliers" and "Tallent is Overrated", I am wondering what ifs about the future with all of this grad school I am putting myself through. I am also wondering how I can tweak how I was raised for my kids so they can really thrive.

This Harvard Business article gives a quick overview of the thought on 10,000 hours of deliberate practice without going into the research on how different kids were raised to be dropouts or thriving that "Outliers" goes into: http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2010/08/six_keys_to.html

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading "Outliers" and "Tallent is Overrated", I am wondering what ifs about the future with all of this grad school I am putting myself through. I am also wondering how I can tweak how I was raised for my kids so they can really thrive.
This Harvard Business article gives a quick overview of the thought on 10,000 hours of deliberate practice without going into the research on how different kids were raised to be dropouts or thriving that "Outliers" goes into: http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2010/08/six_keys_to.html
I suppose it all depends on what your consider excellence. The guy who wrote this little article apparantly has spent a tremendous amount of time improving his tennis game. He claims that he has reached a relative level of excellence. I have to asked the question, "according to whom"? Sure, he might be beating the socks off of the other almost retired guys at the country club, but I would bet just about any college tennis player would make him look like bum.

Practice can certainly make you better at something, but it won't make you great. I bet if you take a good luck at yourself, and those that have been around you, you will see that the vast majority of those that are "excellent" at something were born with something that allowed them to be.

In terms of you, or your kids, in regard to his 6 guidelines, there is one very important point that I believe to be 100% true. You have to be passionate about what you are doing in order to achieve at a high level. If you want your kids to be great ball players, or whatever, making them pracitce for 80 hours a week isn't going to do it. They have to want to practice for 80 hours a week.

In general, I guess, this study/article sounds like another B.S. human resources ploy. Some corporation got this guy to do some make believe study so that HR can tell everyone they should be achieving at a high level. Then, when it isn't happening, they can tell you that you aren't working hard enough, you don't care, you haven't bought into the culture, etc., and then limit your pay and benefits, or just send you packing.

In my opinion, if you're not good at something, drop it. You will eventually find something you were meant to be good at.

In my opinion, if you're not good at something, drop it. You will eventually find something you were meant to be good at.
yeah, my 8th grade math teacher told me he didn't think I was capable of freshman algebra - sometimes if you appear to be bad at something, its due to factors outside of your control (horrific teacher in this instance). Quitter talk...I hate it

yeah, my 8th grade math teacher told me he didn't think I was capable of freshman algebra - sometimes if you appear to be bad at something, its due to factors outside of your control (horrific teacher in this instance). Quitter talk...I hate it
I'm guessing that you were able to get through freshman algebra. Your 8th grade teacher's statement was false. This means that you were at least adequate at freshman algrebra, and not incapable. You may have even been excellent. My point is still valid.

I'm guessing that you were able to get through freshman algebra. Your 8th grade teacher's statement was false. This means that you were at least adequate at freshman algrebra, and not incapable. You may have even been excellent. My point is still valid.
well, i certainly wouldnt call it excellent (thanks though!)

My point was that just because you struggle with something initially, don't drop it, you never know where it could lead you.

I have come to realize that people who use the word "Excellence" in a work-related environment usually conjures images of Wally from the Dilbert. For instance, I can't imagine or more self-delusional statement like Centers of Excellence. My thought is that if you have to use the word excellent to raise the merits, you are further behind than you think ....

JR

In eigth grade, it probably wasn't the teacher, it was little Suzy's rapidly developing bosom.

Eight grade was nothing but distraction.

I can't imagine or more self-delusional statement like Centers of Excellence.
I laugh when I see that displayed prominently!

Last edited by a moderator:
In eigth grade, it probably wasn't the teacher, it was little Suzy's rapidly developing bosom.

Eight grade was nothing but distraction.
Ha ha so true! Actually her name was Toni, and I sat directly behind her...had a crush on her running from 4th grade on :wub:

Back