California SE - License Eligibilty

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Roll_Tide_SE

Reaction score
I am a licensed structural engineer (PE & SE) looking to obtain comity licensure in California. I understand CA has the Seismic Principals Exam and the Surveying Exam which PE registrants are required to pass. Are both of these exams required if I am pursuing an SE license only? Can I obtain a CA SE license without first obtaining a PE license in the state? I cannot seem to find a clear answer amongst the myriad of flowcharts on the board of licensure's website. Thank you.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@CAPLS, can you assist here? I think this is an interesting question and haven’t seen it asked here before.

CAPLS

Reaction score
I am a licensed structural engineer (PE & SE) looking to obtain comity licensure in California. I understand CA has the Seismic Principals Exam and the Surveying Exam which PE registrants are required to pass. Are both of these exams required if I am pursuing an SE license only? Can I obtain a CA SE license without first obtaining a PE license in the state? I cannot seem to find a clear answer amongst the myriad of flowcharts on the board of licensure's website. Thank you.
The simple answer to your question is you are required to first be licensed as a Civil Engineer in California (this state licenses by specific branch of engineering). Primary reason why is that licensed civil engineers are authorized to practice structural engineering in California. Only purpose for the additional SE title is due to other state laws which require an SE to design public schools and hospitals.

One place this is shown on the Board's website is https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/se_faqs.pdf

Its also mentioned here Professional Engineer Application - Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists

If you've already passed the equivalent national PE exam and SE exam, the two California civil exams would be the only ones you'd be required to pass.

Latest posts