California Civil Seismic Building Design, 12th Edition

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarlow123

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the "California Civil Seismic Building Design, 12th Edition" to study for the SE lateral exam? I recently passed the vertical and trying to get organized for the lateral. 

If you haven't used this book, could you recommend a book for a structural engineer with little to no seismic experience (outside SDC B). 

Thank you!

I recommend the SEAOC manuals.  The 2012 steel is still valid. But you with need the 2015 for the other 3 volumes. 

The 2018 seismic wind book by Alan Williams is another.  You just need to be cautious that it reference the 2016 AISC spec.  

The references I mentioned are great for seismic theory and problems that are relevant to the exam. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the SEAOC manuals.  The 2012 steel is still valid. But you with need the 2015 for the other 3 volumes. 

The 2018 seismic wind book by Alan Williams is another.  You just need to be cautious that it reference the 2016 AISC spec.  
I successfully studied with the SEAOC manuals, and also strongly recommend them.  My concern with the "California Civil Seismic Building Design, 12th Edition" is that it may be too specific to the California Building Code.  The SEAOC manuals (esp. Volume I) provide terrific depth, explanation, and examples of all the seismic design provisions in ASCE 7.  They have made great additions to my bookshelf, and I direct my colleagues to them when they get stuck on seismic analysis and design.  

I never did comment on the SEIS book (California Civil Seismic Building Design, 12th Edition) that mmarlow123 asked about.   This book does have a lot of great theory, and does NOT directly reference the CBC.  If you already have it, it is a great supplement.  If you are looking to purchase it, see if someone has a copy you can look at to see if it is what you need.  Or maybe someone has an older copy you can look at it.

Thank you both for your responses. I've decided that I'm going to focus on Alan William's Seismic and Wind Forces,  SEOAC Volume 1, and David Connor's bridge book. I will try to review SEOAC Volumes 2-4 if I have enough time.

Happy New Year!

Back