CA PE Application w/ COVID

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making progress
  • Confirmed UPS delivery of application package to CA BPELSG 3.01.2021
  • Check cashed date: 4.27.2021
  • Received DCA Email stating my application has been forwarded to technical review: 4.27.2021

Last edited:
Just another data point for anyone feeling anxious:

USPS delivered application: 3.15.2021

Haven't heard anything and check has not yet been cashed. Thinking about reaching out soon but glad to see I am not the only one experiencing delays!

I'm having issues as well.

Mailed to Board: 02/23/2021
Delivery confirmation: 02/24/2021
Contacted by Board about $100 application cost increase: 03/19/2021
Mailed $100 to Board (no tracking used): 03/20/2021
Emailed board for update (post-60 days): 04/29/2021

They say my application is still under review. My checks have not been cashed yet.

Getting closer! Just waiting for the DCA website to update with my license number. I wonder how many times I will refresh the search.......
  • Check cashed date: 4.27.2021
  • Received DCA email stating my application has been forwarded to technical review: 4.27.2021
  • Received DCA email stating application has been technically Approved! 5.05.2021

I'm debating if I should reach out to the Board too.

Mailed to Board: 02/17/2021
Delivery confirmation: 02/19/2021
Check cashed: 4/9/21
Received DCA email stating we received your application and it has been referred to technical review: 4/14/2021

Received DCA email stating we received your application and it has been referred to technical review: 4/14/2021
Nah, not worth it. If in 8 weeks (or whatever the board says) after your application was forwarded to technical review, then sure, contact them. The huge delay in cashing the check and forwarding to technical review is a bummer, but it happened to me too last fall.

Mission complete! Updated timeline.
  • Check cashed date (tracked with my bank app alert) : 4.27.2021
  • Received DCA email stating my application has been forwarded to technical review: 4.27.2021
  • Received DCA email stating application has been technically Approved! 5.05.2021
  • Received email from DCA fingerprint quality was poor and rejected. 5.10.2021. Resubmitted fingerprints. Jan, board contact, was very helpful to get this remedied.
  • License number posted on DCA license search! 5.21.2021
My recommendation is don't underestimate the simple fingerprint. Go to a provider that specializes in prints and only complete digital scans. Stay away from ink rolls commonly done at law enforcement. It's very difficult to get the quality right with ink I was told (and experienced first hand).

Congrats FireT.

As for my own timeline...
  • Hand-delivered application to BPELSG office: 03/23/21
  • Check cashed: 04/30/21
  • Received email that my application has been forwarded to technical review: 05/07/21
Aaaaand it's three weeks later and still waiting...

Rough for me. My last name starts with 'S' - can other people please provide their last initial to help determine if this is what causes the great variability in the timelines?

• FedEx delivered on 03/04/2021
  • Check cashed 04/27/2021
  • Sent inquiry email to BPELSG 05/05/2021
  • Received the following email response on 05/18/2021:
    • The board is currently experiencing a back log. Your application has been received but has not been processed. Once your application is processed you will receive a status email. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
  • Still waiting 05/24/2021
Packet confirmed received almost three months ago and still not forwarded to technical review...

Congrats FireT.

As for my own timeline...
  • Received email that my application has been forwarded to technical review: 05/07/21
Aaaaand it's three weeks later and still waiting...
Oh my god, just on a whim I decided to look up my last name (520Engr: it starts with "T") on licensee lookup and I'm there! I've already been issued a license number and status is clear (i.e., clear as in it's valid and no violations)!?!? I never got any email notice that my application was approved after technical review started.

Rough for me. My last name starts with 'S' - can other people please provide their last initial to help determine if this is what causes the great variability in the timelines?

• FedEx delivered on 03/04/2021
  • Check cashed 04/27/2021
  • Sent inquiry email to BPELSG 05/05/2021
  • Received the following email response on 05/18/2021:
    • The board is currently experiencing a back log. Your application has been received but has not been processed. Once your application is processed you will receive a status email. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
  • Still waiting 05/24/2021
Packet confirmed received almost three months ago and still not forwarded to technical review...
  • Received DCA email stating my application has been forwarded to technical review 05/25/2021

I guess my process is complete even though they actually forgot to notify me. I was able to get a hold of BPELSG and they confirmed everything is peachy and my physical license and wall certificate are on their way by mail (2 to 6 weeks).
  • (Didn't receive any approval notification)
  • PE License number issued: 05/21/21

It feels surreal. I'm so proud. And everyone here should be, too. What we have accomplished is so, so hard. Now I need to find youtube videos on how to start my own consulting firm...

Just another data point for anyone feeling anxious:

USPS delivered application: 3.15.2021

Haven't heard anything and check has not yet been cashed. Thinking about reaching out soon but glad to see I am not the only one experiencing delays!
Finally have some good news to share! Here is my final timeline:

Application delivered to board: 3/15
Check cashed: 5/5
Email stating app under review: 6/10
App technically approved: 6/14

After 3 months of waiting for the board to even look at my application, it was technically approved in two business days! Hoping this can provide some insight for everyone else who may be stressed during the long waiting period.

The email stated I should get my authorization to take the California exams by early/mid July. Time to start studying again lol

Just wanted to provide a little update:

I called the board to get the update on 6/10 and was told that the person reviewing my application is on vacation. I was advised to call back in a week, a week, and a half.

I followed up with the phone call on 6/21 and was told that my application hasn't really been assign to a specific person and that it will take another week to two weeks unit it gets assigned to someone.

The waiting is killing me. In addition, my company started the review season and PE License number is a must in order to get promoted.
I want to call Board again, but at the same time, I don't want to make them mad either.

Just wanted to provide a little update:

I called the board to get the update on 6/10 and was told that the person reviewing my application is on vacation. I was advised to call back in a week, a week, and a half.

I followed up with the phone call on 6/21 and was told that my application hasn't really been assign to a specific person and that it will take another week to two weeks unit it gets assigned to someone.

The waiting is killing me. In addition, my company started the review season and PE License number is a must in order to get promoted.
I want to call Board again, but at the same time, I don't want to make them mad either.
PM me your name and I'll check

PM me your name and I'll check
Thank you so much for offering your help. However, I was able to get in touch with the person who is reviewing my application and discuss the reason for the delay.

Any body else applying for Civil still in technical review? I got an email over a month ago saying my application is being referred to technical review? They received my application almost two months ago so I'm waiting for the 60 day mark to call.

I am applying for Civil. Received an email on July 19th that my application is being referred to technical review after two months since my application was delivered. Hoping I am approved by the end of September so I can take the specific exams in Q4. The wait is horrible. Pay will increase significantly when I get my license and so so so need that pay bump living in Cali!

I have send in my application 7/30/2021
They received 8/3/2021
Check cashed out on 8/6/2021
I haven't yet heard a single thing or email notification saying they received my application. Is this normal?

Back