[CA] Engagement record (references)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekneek

Reaction score
I have a question about this part of the application.
I’ve worked at the same company for about 6 years...during this time I’ve had MANY supervisors (it’s normal at my company to move around a lot). If I need to document every single period that I’ve been at this company, it may require like 8 references.

is it necessary for me to get references from every single period I was at this company, or is the last 2-3 years I’ve been here okay? (In CA I just need to demonstrate 24 months of work experience and a Bachelors degree).

my work experience:
Year 1: Generation
Year 2: generation
Year 3: transmission
Year 4: Distribution
Year 5: Distribution
Year 6: Protection

Can I just get 4 references from my Year 5 and Year 6 experience and call it good? Or do we have to provide a chronological reference for each and every position since I started at this company?

It never hurts to provide an extra reference or two just in case it demonstrates the broad aspects of your gained experience. In the 3 page application (not the Engagement Reference form), there is a summary area with a remarks area. I would suggest you explain your overall experience gained there with a note that you are only providing engagement/reference forms to meet the minimum requirements.

Board can always ask for more if its needed and you already have them listed in the summary.

It never hurts to provide an extra reference or two just in case it demonstrates the broad aspects of your gained experience. In the 3 page application (not the Engagement Reference form), there is a summary area with a remarks area. I would suggest you explain your overall experience gained there with a note that you are only providing engagement/reference forms to meet the minimum requirements.

Board can always ask for more if its needed and you already have them listed in the summary.
Awesome, that’s exactly what I will do.

so, in that 3 page application, if I worked at the same company for 6 years, and I am only providing references for the last 2 years, would the engagement dates and months of qualifying experience number still be the total of 6 years (5/1/15-5/1/21 72months) even if I’ve only worked with that reference for 2 years?

example:

engagement 1: Company X
Dates: from 5/1/15- 5/1/21 (
qualifying experience: 72months
Reference name: Jack Smith
(Worked with Jack smith from 5/1/19-5/1/21)

engagement 1: Company X
Dates: from 5/1/15- 5/1/21
qualifying experience: 72months
Reference name: Joe Smith
(Worked with Joe smith from 5/1/19-5/1/21)

Back