Build your own tabletop trebuchet!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The trebuchet is a medieval invention originally designed to lay siege to fortresses and castles. The largest of them could hurl immense stones hundreds of yards. Now you can have one to play with in your own home. The whole device stands about foot tall when unloaded and flings various things ten feet or more. Moreover, this is a nice introductory woodworking project that you can do with mostly basic tools. Make sure to check all of the images. A lot of the details are in the notes there.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wooden-Desktop-Trebuchet/

My wife bought me a trebuchet kit a couple of Christmas's ago. It was fun to build but didnt really work that well. It didnt seem like I could put enough of a counterweight on it to really fling anything too far. Adjusting the sling was a real pain in the arse.

This is a nice project, but I'll stick to my marshmallow gun... I can put 3 mini's in a 1/2" circle @ 25 yards with 90psi; they stick to the wall well... Change the barrel & I'm putting tennis balls through 3/4" plywood (NOT OSB) @ 30 feet & 120 psi...

Think of it as a potato gun on steroids... Now to get a golf ball barrel (uncommon pvc size)

now someone needs to write a how-to for making one from office supplies

That's cool. How much Spam do you think I could hurl with that thing?

have been working on plans for my two trebuchets myself. one for the garden, great for relocating rocks I till up and for reseeding the neighbors field with my damaged crops. the other I want to build for punkin' chuckin'.

Back