BS in GIS, want to sit for TX PE

Help Support Engineer Boards:

kharmapill

Reaction score
Hi, I have a BS degree in GIS (Geographic Information Systems), and I do site electrical design for a major city in Texas. It would be great to take the PE exam, but so far, I don't qualify based on the education requirement. Is this the case in all states? This is a shot in the dark, but has anyone else found a way to qualify to take the exam in Texas with a bachelor's in GIS? Thank you.

bwin12

EB Supporting Member
EB Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure about TX, but Colorado has this:
  • Graduate from an engineering curriculum of 4 years or more OR from a related science curriculum of 4 years or more. Must have 20 years of progressive engineering experience of which education may be a part. Waive EI requirement.
I am not sure if GIS is considered a "related science curriculum"?
I remember some of the guys I worked with in New York early in my career did this, but they worked for the train systems (LIRR, NJ Transit, etc) in the signals and controls department. It was their retirement plan...

kharmapill

Reaction score
Thank you, bwin. Yeah, the trouble is getting the board to see GIS as a related science. I asked if I qualify again, but I probably don't. I'm just waiting for Texas to weigh my experience more than my degree. I work under a PE who checks my work, but it's a formality.