Bridge Things

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titleistguy

Reaction score
David Connor's book -- so far it is really helpful.

I've learned the following things from it so far:

1) I've broken my LRFD code into two binders, one smaller binder with the index first, and chapters 1-4.  The second binder has everything else.

2) The bridge problems are actually kind of easy, as long as you know how to use an index.  Granted I've only got through the first 15 or so. 

But not being a bridge guy my process has been this:

1) Open David's book, read question

2) Using index find relevant section in AASHTO

3) Plug and chug into the equations. 

4) Check answer

5) Realize that I forgot some obvious thing, (which is why is book is so helpful b/c the solutions are very broad and give pro-tips for similar questions)

My one question to all you folks, are you if you're studying, or did you if you took it already, bring the AISC Influence line document from like 19-seventy-whenever? 

Also, are there any cheat sheets that anyone recommends, like, if you have this length bridge then place your truck here, or tandem load there?  I've found similar tables providing reactions for single spans, but is that all there is? 

I brought it i and did not use it once, however, i do recommend having a small notebook containing some of the useful appendices, such as D6 for calculating composite beam capacity, your load combos and load factors, factors of safety, and maximum moment-shears-reactions tables for simple spans.

The notebook will also add as a catch all for any misc. pencil notes you decide to write down.

I had my AASHTO bound into 5 different notebooks: the four analysis chapters, steel and alumnimum, concrete, wood and foundation stuff, and finally joints, railings, sound barriers.

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

I also recommend making some flash cards on quizlet to quickly learn the load cases.  Same with all those adjustment factors in wood, or any new nomenclature for that matter.

I got the wood stuff down...and organized.  Bridge prep is my last topic until I go into full problem solving mode / EET class.  

I also recommend making some flash cards on quizlet to quickly learn the load cases.  Same with all those adjustment factors in wood, or any new nomenclature for that matter.
Careful of doing this for load factors. There is language buried in the text prior to Table 3.4.1-1 that changes some of those factors to something other than what is shown in the table.

Careful of doing this for load factors. There is language buried in the text prior to Table 3.4.1-1 that changes some of those factors to something other than what is shown in the table.
Yes, also please be aware of "Extreme Event Limit State" resistance (phi) factors.  Under the steel chapter, section 6.5.5 the resistance factor (phi) = 1.0 for extreme event limit states, except for certain bolt/shear conditions.

There are similar uses of different phi factors for concrete for Extreme Event Limit States, but they typically show up in the Seismic portions of the chapter.  See 5.5.4.2.3, 5.10.11.3, 5.10.11.4.1b, and 5.5.5.

For the load factors, I made sure the combo table and gamma table were on the same page.  In AASHTO, you would have to flip the page back and fourth.  No time for that!  The flash cards are for quickly becoming familiar with the 30 different load cases.  There are 4 just for live load alone!

Yes, also please be aware of "Extreme Event Limit State" resistance (phi) factors.  Under the steel chapter, section 6.5.5 the resistance factor (phi) = 1.0 for extreme event limit states, except for certain bolt/shear conditions.

There are similar uses of different phi factors for concrete for Extreme Event Limit States, but they typically show up in the Seismic portions of the chapter.  See 5.5.4.2.3, 5.10.11.3, 5.10.11.4.1b, and 5.5.5.
I tried to add pencil notes to address foot notes.  I made sure to add in a pencil note compilation of the extreme states, such as phi for P-M interaction, bolts, and piles in tension.

Back