BEST Review Courses/Materials for someone with ZERO Seismic/Survey Background

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 0 seismic experience or knowledge before taking Dr. Ibrahim's course, through AEI. I had never taken any course and was starting from 0 (I work in construction, for a large contractor, so I also haven't dealt with it at work either). However, upon taking his webinar course in April of 2021 (through June 2021), I felt thoroughly prepared for the CA seismic exam. I even felt overprepared, which is an amazing feeling. He is a GREAT professor and cares about each and every student in his class. He makes sure EVERYONE understands all topics before moving on, and accepts any and all questions. He makes himself available 24/7, by email, text, phone call, and individual zoom sessions, and even adds on more classes to make sure he can cover everything in detail. During the classes, there are always quiz type questions to make sure we understand what he has taught. There are workshops where he provides step by step handouts to walk you through the steps of typical problems so you understand how to approach test like questions. He even has 3 mini exams (1a, 1b, 2, and 3) for the important chapters in the exam to make sure you've grasped the concepts. I cannot stress how amazing his course is, as well as all the practice problems he gives you, and simulation exams (2 simulation exams taken during the last 2 classes - and he goes over every problem of the first exam after you take it in 4 sections, and 3 CBT exams where he tells you in what order to take them, and how many days before the exam to take which as well). He genuinely wants you to learn and understand everything. There are many tips and tricks provided, as well as shortcuts for questions (which came in handy a lot).

I went into my seismic exam obviously nervous, but left feeling like I crushed it. The problems were easy thanks to Dr. Ibrahim's preparation, and thanks to his thorough textbook and amazing course. Like I said, I started his course with 0 seismic knowledge, and left my exam feeling relieved and confident. I passed thanks to Dr. Ibrahim's amazing teaching capabilities and his caring demeanor! If you're scared about this exam because you don't have any seismic knowledge, then I HIGHLY recommend taking Dr. Ibrahim's course through AEI. You will NOT regret it.

Last edited:
I have passed all the exams for CA and I am a PE

It was not a easy RODEO.

Survey: Reza and master that book COMPLETELY then find random problems from other sources to practice that differ from Reza.

Seismic: AEI(EET it changed) Dr Ibrahim is the best teacher I ever have had. If you learn and master his course you will pass. Hiner problems only if you need more practice problems.
I signed up for EET seismic review but it is now taught by someone else. He doesn't have equations/references organized very well unfortunately. Wish I could get ahold of Ibrahims review materials.

For the surveying, I can't really make a recommendation. I used the PPI book (Cole) but I also had some background experience. Would not recommend the PPI book. I still passed the first try but the book seemed unfinished and I had to go to youtube to flesh out a lot of the concepts. Luckily there is tons of info available online for surveying (at least compared to seismic). I think surveying is easier of the 2 to grasp. The problems can get a bit complicated but at the end of the day its geometry and the example problems usually involve pictures.

For the Seismic exam, Hiner was really good. Had basically no background in the subject matter and I passed the first time. I just used the book, can't speak for the review course. The seismic material is more abstract. A lot of times I knew how to solve a problem and what equation to use but really had no idea what any of it meant. The Hiner example problems do a good job of making you take little baby steps. If you do get his book, skip the part 2 example problems though - they are a lot harder and I don't know why he puts them in front the easier part 3 problems (hopefully they change that in future editions).
I disagree with skipping Hiner's part 2 example problems. I learned the most from doing those problems; it made the material make sense to me. They are not as difficult as they appear since the questions seem long, but they really cement the material in your head. I didn't pass the first time around and I read your response about skipping the part 2 problems so I skipped them, which was bad advice. Second time around, I passed and I did do part 2 problems, which helped tremendously.

Back