Bearing capacity - given EQ

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAMEngineer

Reaction score
Hello,

The handbook gives a version of the ultimate bearing capacity that I am not familiar with in section 3.4.2.1-
Bearing Capacity Equation for Concentrically Loaded Square or Rectangular Footings

There are so many videos and literature out there on bearing capacity, but if anyone is familiar with this particular equation from the PE handbook version 1.1, any help would be greatly appreciated.

For those of us we do not have the handbook, you will need to include that snippet for discussion.

Oh, thanks. I thought they were charging a fee like everything else they do. HAHA. THanks.

Thank you both, example 8-1 on page 8-21 in the FHWA soils and foundations reference manual that @psustruct pointed out was referenced in the NCEES reference handbook really cleared things up for me after reading through the section.

I had originally posted because the solution to a problem I was looking at gave different bearing capacity factors than the table & equations in NCEES reference manual. It makes sense now, reading that highlighted statement on page 8-19 of the FHWA manual there are differences in the factors depending on the source material. I am glad I spent the time reviewing this, hopefully it comes in handy during the exam.

Thanks again,
Taking the construction exam (attempt 2) on 4/20!

Back