Battery Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLD PE

lower intestine
Reaction score
I got this question wrong (I had to re-load the set of questions so I could see them).  Is there reason why choice 'B' is more correct than choice 'D' (my original answer)?

Week 2 Question 1 Batteries.jpg

I re-read one of my battery references and realized current flow is opposite of electron flow.  So electrons flow from anode to cathode and current flows from cathode to anode, making choice (d) incorrect.  Ugh!  Good to know.

Current flow is a matter of convention.  Had Benjamin Franklin guessed correctly way back when, the Navy and the rest of us would be drawing the damned arrow in the same direction.

I re-read one of my battery references and realized current flow is opposite of electron flow.  So electrons flow from anode to cathode and current flows from cathode to anode, making choice (d) incorrect.  Ugh!  Good to know.
I was confused by these before as well.  This is correct in terms of batteries.

But this is opposite in terms of diodes(PN junction devices), or any electronic devices such as BJT. anode is positive (holes) and cathode is negative(electrons) . Thus, electrons flows from cathode to the anode for diodes.

Back