Aviation book suggestions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Not being an aviation buff, can anyone recommend a good aviation book? something more of photography than stories, like coffee table type book. Mr snicks grandpa loves airplanes, went to oshkosh every year when he was still about to make the trip. We would like to get him something like that for xmas since he is in a nursing home now and really doesn't need anything.

What kind of aircraft is he in to?

I've got a couple of picture heavy books for WWII aircraft.

Warbirds, American Legends of World War II by Jeffry Ethell

The History of Aircraft Nose Art, WWI to Today by Jeffry Ehtel and Clarence Simonsen

There's usually a pretty good selection of these types of books in the Transportation section of the local Borders.

^You and I would probably get along well in person. I recently got Magnesium Overcast from Amazon! I've always been fascinated with the B-36. Such a huge aircraft (for its time). Kind of the ultimate WWII bomber. Although I would probably not recommend it as a general book for avaiation enthusiasts, unless they are particuarly interested int he B-36, because that's all that's covered.

I'd just check the local big bookstore and look through all the bargain books. There's usually more than a few big books of aircraft available.

Captain Worley: You should check out "Firebombers in Action" that was just published this year. It's about forest fire fighting aircraft, and comes with a DVD in the back cover. Pretty cool stuff.

Dleg, another good one is Allied Aircraft Piston engines of WWII.

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Aircraft-Pist...8389&sr=8-1

One of the interesting things that I took away from it was that because of cowling design, air-cooled radials were as aerodynamically efficient as the liquid cooled engined aircraft. Couple that with the ruggedness of the aircooled radials and you can understand why the navy went all aircooled.

Really fascinating book.

Back