Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how it compares when you also factor in benefits. I am pretty sure I don't make all that much on base pay, but hopefully my benefits make up for it a bit in that medical/dental/vision are covered, retirement pension match of 2:1 with me paying in 7% (so 21% of my pay each year), and a few other odds and ends that are likely more similar.

If someone making $10k+ more than me in a similar area has to pay out of pocket towards medical/dental/vision and doesn't get much retirement help, then it may balance out more. Otherwise I am likely just sticking around letting them pay me less than I deserve... We shall see what happens in under a year when I can actually register for my PE.
The last two places I worked had medical/dental fully paid by the employer, excellent pension plans (which I'll never see since I left), and matching 401K up to 6%, Current employer, I pay about 5% of the premiums (come to about $150 per month for full family coverage), they give me 7% in a 401K and will match another 4%, (so I can total 15% in while my contribution is 4%).

Raise is automatic at my firm. They really value their engineers getting their PEs. They even reimburse 100% of all costs associated with preparing and taking the PE (contingent on passing, of course).

They follow the same protocol for the FE, too.

Ultimately, they never gave me one. Said it was not required for my job function (even though encouraged). Was verbally told and had in writing, but administration changed twice shortly after so promises of old regime did not mean anything. Left the job a few months later, found a much better one, so all in all I am satisfied!

Ultimately, they never gave me one. Said it was not required for my job function (even though encouraged). Was verbally told and had in writing, but administration changed twice shortly after so promises of old regime did not mean anything. Left the job a few months later, found a much better one, so all in all I am satisfied!
Congratulations!

Previous companies that I've worked for offered an incentive bonus for obtaining your PE, PMP, and in one case, the CCM. 

Depending on the company and the type of work, the PMP was worth more than the PE. We did not specialize in design though. I'm guessing that if you are in a design firm and you obtain your PE, the company isn't likely to reward you for it because you don't applaud a fish for swimming. 

Back