April 2021 SE Exam Results Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big day - Friday the 11th as the astrologer predicted. At least it won't be Friday the 13th.

does anyone know what exactly they do during this 4 day workshop? I would think they should already have all the work checked and now they decided what is IR, U, or A. But that’s just my guess.

does anyone know what exactly they do during this 4 day workshop? I would think they should already have all the work checked and now they decided what is IR, U, or A. But that’s just my guess.
I don’t actually know, but I think it’s when they do the actual grading. So, two graders grade each of the afternoon questions, and if they both agree on the same rating of A/IR/U for a given examiner’s problem, that result is recorded. If there is disagreement, a third grader grades that given problem. But in any case, they’re going through virtual stacks and stacks of exam problems and each grader is doing one at a time. I think that’s basically it, all day, for three days.

How do they stay consistent in grading? It's a known phenomenon that graders grade harder or softer based on amount of time spent, fatigue, are they hungry, is the box of kittens in the room, etc.

Man, we're getting close. I don't think I'm going to sleep real well the next few days.
I think I’ll probably sleep fine tonight, and tomorrow night, while the exams are being graded. But honestly, the S.E. Exam hasn’t affected my sleep since I took the silly exams. Work has done that job! 🤪

How do they stay consistent in grading? It's a known phenomenon that graders grade harder or softer based on amount of time spent, fatigue, are they hungry, is the box of kittens in the room, etc.
They all work out the problem beforehand and decide what will be an acceptable/IR/UA.

Then they all grade everything...I've been told they will also send through a 'dummy test' after a grader has been grading for a while.

They'll send through the dummy test where they already know what the grade should be, to see if the grader has accidentally started grading a little tougher or easier than they were when they started grading that problem 3 hours and 20 tests ago. If he/she grades it differently than they know it is supposed to be graded, they'll pull the grader out and 'recalibrate' him/her, and reemphasize what their standards are.

Back