April 2021 Exam Results Study Pattern Survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmanwatery PE

Reaction score
Morning everyone, first I want to say congrats to all who passed its a great achievement and you should be proud. Next to those who didn't keep your head up, just because you didn't do it this time doesn't mean you're not a good engineer.

Next, I wanted to take the time to ask everyone a favor if you could. Please take the time to fill out your respective survey so I can gather some number on trends for people who passed and people who failed and if there's any sort of correlations.

Passing survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Passing Info

Fail survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Failed Info

I will post the live link to the results next week at some point when there's been a good amount of responses. The survey will officially end at the end of June so if you don't have the time to fill out your survey now you have more than enough time to do so later.

Thank you all again and best of luck to those who will be trying in October, you'll do great!

Fortunately, I passed PE yesterday and I want to pass forward the PE references (PM Structure) I have. Anyone in Houston, TX area who needs them please message me?

Result links are as follows:

Passed:
https://www.allcounted.com/share?view=summary&cid=ct7myj99rmpzp&lang=en_US
Failed:
https://www.allcounted.com/share?view=summary&cid=kt4b1n99jbpd0&lang=en_US
The cross-tabulation option will allow you to break out the graphs by answer for a specific question.
I.e. I wanna know how each discipline answered each question. I'd select the "which depth did you take?" question and it will show the answers given by the 5 depths on the following charts.

Please let me know if anything is not working correctly or if you're looking for exported data.

Please keep in mind if you have not taken the survey that you please do so we can have a larger set of data to gather from. The survey will be open till June 30th!

Last edited:
Studied by practicing sample tests. I had School of PE and SE Reference Manual for PM and also took all reference codes to exam.

This right here is the most interesting part of the comparison. Not what I would have expected.

The only take-away I have is you should plan for at least 150 hours of study.

1623278813631.png

This right here is the most interesting part of the comparison. Not what I would have expected.

The only take-away I have is you should plan for at least 150 hours of study.

View attachment 22740
So, a higher percentage of those that failed (like me) studied less than 150 hours. But a higher percentage of those that passed studied more than 150.

So yes, you can pass while studying less than 150, or you can fail while studying more than 150, but the more you study, the more likely you are to pass.

So, a higher percentage of those that failed (like me) studied less than 150 hours. But a higher percentage of those that passed studied more than 150.

So yes, you can pass while studying less than 150, or you can fail while studying more than 150, but the more you study, the more likely you are to pass.
Agree.
I was expecting the difference to be much bigger

Good thing my retake plan is to study 200 hours (this includes three full practice exams, and a few days the week of the exam to keep my mind sharp while also relaxing and mentally preparing for exam day).
For my first attempt, I only took off the day before. This time, I took off almost that entire week. It really helped. I didn't feel rushed to check my notes, fix any tabs, or just spend time reading through my binders. I took 3.5 days to do that. It was worth it.

For my first attempt, I only took off the day before. This time, I took off almost that entire week. It really helped. I didn't feel rushed to check my notes, fix any tabs, or just spend time reading through my binders. I took 3.5 days to do that. It was worth it.
I did the same thing. Worked Monday-Wednesday (though I did use paid study time at work in the office), and took off Thursday as a day to relax. I did a dry run from my house to the exam site that morning at the exact time I'd be doing it Friday.

I'll probably use the same approach because I wasn't stressed or anything. I can honestly say that test anxiety and week-of/day-of preparation was NOT my issue with why I failed! It was simply not sticking to my study schedule!

Morning everyone, first I want to say congrats to all who passed its a great achievement and you should be proud. Next to those who didn't keep your head up, just because you didn't do it this time doesn't mean you're not a good engineer.

Next, I wanted to take the time to ask everyone a favor if you could. Please take the time to fill out your respective survey so I can gather some number on trends for people who passed and people who failed and if there's any sort of correlations.

Passing survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Passing Info

Fail survey link:
April 2021 Civil PE Failed Info

I will post the live link to the results next week at some point when there's been a good amount of responses. The survey will officially end at the end of June so if you don't have the time to fill out your survey now you have more than enough time to do so later.

Thank you all again and best of luck to those who will be trying in October, you'll do great!
Do you plan to do one of these in for the October 2021 exams?

Back