APRIL 2019 RESULTS - PE CIVIL - STRUCTURAL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Connecticut - Fail

28 - AM, 20 - PM  = 48 (Total) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I write the following with full sincerity and wishing you well for your next attempt:

My analysis of your struggle in the exam is that you got caught in the NCEES trap and fell for the false positives on a number of problems. Many of the morning problems are designed to throw you on wrong line of thinking and reach the wrong answer included in the choices. 

My advice would be - which is what I did - is to budget your time such that you can review your work. To accomplish this, I took the first 5 min of the test to read every question and label in 1-3 difficulty. 1 would be a question you can answer without any reference, 2 would be one you’ll need to look it up but know more or less where to, and 3 would be something you’d have to study and answer. 

Then answer all the 1s, then 2s and finally the 3s.

This method boosts your confidence and prevents you from spending too much time on problems you’ll probably get wrong anyway even if you had an hour. Try this next time. 
I took Civil Transpo and passed but I think my strategy would help as well. I also took the first 5-10 minutes reading through all questions and focused on the topics I knew. Before the exam, I came up with my own order that I would do all questions on my strongest topic first, then guestimate the rest with either educated guess or blind guess.

For both AM and PM, I think my confidence is:

• AM: (28/40 sure x 85%) + (7/40 educated guess with elimination x 50%) +(5/40 blind guess x 25%) = 28.55 correct
  • PM: (25/40 sure x 85%) + (5/40 educated guess with elim x 50%) + (10/40 blind guess all As x 25%) = 26.25 correct
  • Total: 54.8/80
You can see my post and my Google Sheet on how I set up my answering order.

Overall: 48/80

Morning: 27/40

Evening: 21/40

The maximum failing overall score I've seen on this thread is 49/80. Is 50/80 the cut score or has someone failed with a higher score?

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall: 48/80

Morning: 27/40

Evening: 21/40

The maximum failing overall score I've seen on this thread is 49/80. Is 50/80 the cut score or has someone failed with a higher score?
I believe someone reported on the results thread that a friend got a failing score of 51/80. That's the highest I have seen. 

Back