April 2015 Pass Rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoever told me Civil Construction is the easiest and has the highest pass rate definitely lied. I took their advice and passed, though, so I guess it worked!
I'm thinking this pattern is beginning to show more than that this is a hard exam....like are you getting people who really don't do engineering work taking this (estimators, equipment operators, etc)?
How are non-engineers able to take the test at all?My state had an application process and you had to show you do engineering work, and have licensed PEs sign off on what you were submitting. Is that not true for every state?
A little creative wording on the experience section??

Regardless, mcjohn just said what I was getting at ..... so he said it not me!

I always wonder how they calculate the repeaters ...seems very low ...

repeaters will always be low, high performers will have passed the first attempt and no longer be in the pool. Repeaters (and i say this with all do respect as I just failed and will be retaking) are all thats left in the pool.

repeaters will always be low, high performers will have passed the first attempt and no longer be in the pool. Repeaters (and i say this with all do respect as I just failed and will be retaking) are all thats left in the pool.
Pretty much.

Whoever told me Civil Construction is the easiest and has the highest pass rate definitely lied. I took their advice and passed, though, so I guess it worked!
I'm thinking this pattern is beginning to show more than that this is a hard exam....like are you getting people who really don't do engineering work taking this (estimators, equipment operators, etc)?
How are non-engineers able to take the test at all?My state had an application process and you had to show you do engineering work, and have licensed PEs sign off on what you were submitting. Is that not true for every state?
A little creative wording on the experience section??

Regardless, mcjohn just said what I was getting at ..... so he said it not me!
In all honesty, I would expect it has something to do with Construction jobs being more mobile and less structured. When I studied, I would work my 730-430, come home and have the same routine on study nights. If I was working all day in the field, tired from being on my feet, I probably wouldn't do well studying versus me sitting at my desk all day.

Construction seems to be a catch all for people who are more geared towards the doing and the dirty work of the profession, whereas the other specialties attract the nerds (me included). So a test geared towards more theory than practical application is going to get a lower passing score from those geared more towards the doing.

Speaking from experience, since I'm one of the construction dummies, while sometimes it's difficult to put in 12 hours a day and then come home and study for another 2 hours, the motivated guys will pass. What I noticed from the exam is a lot of engineers taking the construction exam are in construction management versus actually contractors and the questions I noticed were geared towards the engineers planning, scheduling, estimating, and supervising construction projects. There was a lot of practical knowledge questions that one might not understand if they never actually planned a crane lift, designed formwork, scheduled resources, managed budgets, etc...

Also, I think there's a lot of people who take the construction exam thinking it will be much easier, but they don't have the experience to understand the questions. Same with me taking any of the other PM exams.

There's my defense for my fellow Construction PE's!

Back