Anyone Read the NCEES Licensure Exchange Dec 2010?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blybrook PE

Veteran 10k Spammer
Reaction score
Ok, so I, like so many others here, are awaiting results. I took a chance to go see if there was any new information on the NCEES website (other than their closure on Friday 12/24 & Monday 12/27) and found that they had time to release a Licensure Exchange Newsletter (among getting the Oct 10 results released as quickly as done in April '10 :smileyballs:)

Anyway, on page 3, there is a section for the Committee on Examinations for PE's that discusses the change for the FE exam to a computer based exam. It goes on to state that "The committee is developing a plan to either move the PE exam to closed-book administrations with NCEES-supplied references or limit the amount of reference materials allowed in the exam room." It is also noted that the PS examinees are already facing this kind of restriction in the previous section on the same page!

Really, closed book exams with supplied references? This is supposed to make it any easier?

I can see it now: here purchase the extra references to study with, but don't bring them with you; we'll hike the fees & provide it to you again. Oh, and don't forget to leave your tabs at home as you can't tab the books to make quick reference again!

Now, I don't mind the idea of computer based testing; provided it will give us results any faster. This is also provided they are not real time to really screw with you! That would mess with someone's mind RIGHT away and get them too bummed to continue!

Ok, so I, like so many others here, are awaiting results. I took a chance to go see if there was any new information on the NCEES website (other than their closure on Friday 12/24 & Monday 12/27) and found that they had time to release a Licensure Exchange Newsletter (among getting the Oct 10 results released as quickly as done in April '10 :smileyballs:)
Anyway, on page 3, there is a section for the Committee on Examinations for PE's that discusses the change for the FE exam to a computer based exam. It goes on to state that "The committee is developing a plan to either move the PE exam to closed-book administrations with NCEES-supplied references or limit the amount of reference materials allowed in the exam room." It is also noted that the PS examinees are already facing this kind of restriction in the previous section on the same page!

Really, closed book exams with supplied references? This is supposed to make it any easier?

I can see it now: here purchase the extra references to study with, but don't bring them with you; we'll hike the fees & provide it to you again. Oh, and don't forget to leave your tabs at home as you can't tab the books to make quick reference again!

Now, I don't mind the idea of computer based testing; provided it will give us results any faster. This is also provided they are not real time to really screw with you! That would mess with someone's mind RIGHT away and get them too bummed to continue!

I did read that...yesterday I think. To be honest if I don't pass by the time the PE is computer based and is closed book, I'm going into the adult entertainment business.

How the HELL is that fair? For years people are allowed to bring in whatever they want and NOW we can't bring in crap, only to use some ultra-weak NCEES supplied references? Totally changes the requirements of a PE.

I hope I f'in passed this exam this time around....

To be fair, if they propose to supply the reference material, they are then OBLIGATED to provide the material required to answer ALL questions. ;) It could save time in some regards.

To be fair, if they propose to supply the reference material, they are then OBLIGATED to provide the material required to answer ALL questions. ;) It could save time in some regards.
Not really...I mean, I remember studying/using the FE Reference Manual, and there was certainly information that you needed to know that was NOT in there...

It makes sense that they want to have more control over the situation by not letting you bring your own crap into the exam...would be interesting to see how the pass rates will be affected.

Not really...I mean, I remember studying/using the FE Reference Manual, and there was certainly information that you needed to know that was NOT in there...
It makes sense that they want to have more control over the situation by not letting you bring your own crap into the exam...would be interesting to see how the pass rates will be affected.

I have to agree on this, there was a LOT of information that was not included in the FE reference manual. I know that my Mrs is already fretting having to study for the FE! And she's not planning to take it until Oct '11! I've told her what I can from what I remember, but geeze, there was several topics not included at all.

Something as stupid as using different variables abbreviations or rearranging the equation from how you are used to seeing it could really throw people off...

How the HELL is that fair? For years people are allowed to bring in whatever they want and NOW we can't bring in crap, only to use some ultra-weak NCEES supplied references? Totally changes the requirements of a PE.
The test wasn't always multiple choice, either. I wonder how those engineers feel. My boss described what his test was like, and it seemed like it was harder.

That's Hilarious, considering half of the exam is code specific. Thought the whole purpose of the PE was to reflect on real world experience. Imagine how many questions they may have throw out on knowledge specific questions if they are going to a closed exam situation.

Exactly! The NCEES-supplied FE manual was crap and I barely used that thing when I took the FE.

I can see them prohibiting books of sample problems being brought into the exam site, but even that is tricky, seeing how most of the reference manuals provide a few examples.

I thought the testing format was fine, as is. Its the **** scoring process which is getting on my nerves!

It may help reduce the number of people bringing in an entire college experience worth of books, examples, and worked problems into the test. Anyone that was sitting towards the front by the doors in Austin saw one person with a solid stack of open binders and books 2 feet tall covering their portion of the desk. They were behind me so I didn't get to see them in action, but I walked by the mess on my way to lunch.

1066312130045082166S500x500Q85.jpg

I did read that...yesterday I think. To be honest if I don't pass by the time the PE is computer based and is closed book, I'm going into the adult entertainment business.
You sure about that?

:bananadoggywow: :dancingnaughty:

there was a dude at Reliant Center in Houston that brought in a rolling bookcase that was about 3' x 3'. i saw him in the parking lot. had the books secured on the shelves w/ bungee chords. it looked like he was taking the petroleum exam like me. i looked down at my bag full of references and all of a sudden felt unprepared.

I took the transportation part. I had to take in the Green Book, HCM, and MUTCD. Those are all very big, thick, and heavy books. I actually used all of them in addition to the CERM. The CERM even says in the transpo section that you should take all those books.

:true:

The test wasn't always multiple choice, either. I wonder how those engineers feel. My boss described what his test was like, and it seemed like it was harder.
The Kaplan PE study guides (at least for the strucutral exam) are actually questions from old PE tests from when it was a written exam, and after studying with those and then going to take the multiple choice exam, I can definately say that the mulitple choice exam was significantly harder. Which would explain why my boss informed me prior to taking the PE that it was really just a "simple test that anyone can pass even with no background in engineering." That comment didn't go over so well...

The Kaplan PE study guides (at least for the strucutral exam) are actually questions from old PE tests from when it was a written exam, and after studying with those and then going to take the multiple choice exam, I can definately say that the mulitple choice exam was significantly harder. Which would explain why my boss informed me prior to taking the PE that it was really just a "simple test that anyone can pass even with no background in engineering." That comment didn't go over so well...
Ewww...what a jerk. That's like the guy who made a comment to my husband about my not passing the PE exam yet...he goes, "what's so hard about it?" I wanted to strangle him.

That is exactly how I would see it. It would be better than having a 3 foot stack of 3-ring binders that will do absolutely nothing for you but waste your time.

On the other side of the argument, I can see the benefit of knowing how to use the REAL WORLD references that you will need in your profession

Ewww...what a jerk. That's like the guy who made a comment to my husband about my not passing the PE exam yet...he goes, "what's so hard about it?" I wanted to strangle him.
A jerk and a complete idiot. He asked me once what "these fancy new omega and phi factors" are in the steel code. I thought he was just testing me...but it turns out he never in his 30 some odd years of engineering used or even saw them. I don't understand how he ever passed the PE in the first place!

That is exactly how I would see it. It would be better than having a 3 foot stack of 3-ring binders that will do absolutely nothing for you but waste your time.

On the other side of the argument, I can see the benefit of knowing how to use the REAL WORLD references that you will need in your profession
Seeing a couple of these guys that bring in bookcases full of references when I took the exam in October, I really began to wonder what the pass rate for those guys are. Like you said, there is such a thing as information overload and if you are constantly rummaging through a suitcase full of references, I can't believe that you've got time to actually answer the questions.

the old written exam may have been easier in some disciplines, but it was definitely harder in petroleum.

From the 70's to the early 80's, the pass rates were in the 70% range; however, in the mid 80's things dropped to about a 55% pass rate. it dropped again to the mid 30's for a while, the further still to below 20% for several years when the test went to a half long form / half multiple choice format.

the test went all multiple choice in in 1998 and it's been around 60%-70% pass rate since, although w/ some adjustment. the primary gripe around the long form test is that the problems were just too long for the time allotted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back