Any numismatist out there?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
I have just recently discovered coin collecting and am afraid I've gone a bit overboard with it.  I obtained a few hundred coins last year and am still looking.  My interest in coins is in having something of inherent value when everything goes to the crapper, so I haven't been too concerned with quality as much as quantity.  I don't figure anyone's going to care if it is a 64+ when I'm trying to buy bread.  I've gotten most of them from online auctions, but am paying a 15-18% buyers premium plus shipping plus tax.  Just curious how other people ago about getting coins.

I have just recently discovered coin collecting and am afraid I've gone a bit overboard with it.  I obtained a few hundred coins last year and am still looking.  My interest in coins is in having something of inherent value when everything goes to the crapper, so I haven't been too concerned with quality as much as quantity.  I don't figure anyone's going to care if it is a 64+ when I'm trying to buy bread.  I've gotten most of them from online auctions, but am paying a 15-18% buyers premium plus shipping plus tax.  Just curious how other people ago about getting coins.
I still collect coins but find more fun in getting sterling silver for pennies on the dollar at the local goodwill shops. My coin collection is pretty large with a handful of pre-1800 US coins. What you can also do is get coin rolls from the local banks and go through them. Last year, I found an indian head cent (1907) in one of the rolls. Speaking of indian head pennies, I just have two more to complete the whole set: 1872 and 1908s (already own 1877 and 1909s). The point is getting them cheap. The 2$ nickel rolls at the banks still have a few 1940's and more of the 50's nickels.There are also local online auctions that I take part in, especially grabbing the international silver coins that are "cheap" (relative to the melt value). There is also a shop here that has weekly auctions, but getting values there are tough as there are many collectors. My dream coins that I have yet to obtain are the 1909s vdb lincoln cent and the 1955 double die, but not actively pursuing them. I have a couple of the 1972 double die obverse coins and one of the 1983 double die reverse coin.

My joy is in imagining the history of the coins as well as the sterling silver ware. That's why sterling silver items with names on them are the best for me. I can look up the names and see who the owners were and what they did.

I need to look through them but my dad gave me 3 boxes of my grandfathers coin collections, we gave them to each of my kids, but I think there are some valuable coins in there - he did a lot of collecting after WW II.

Back