Any last minute advice??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree and would suggest a review course.

You are having issues with several of the topics that most folks count as the freebies: math, prob and stats, and ethics. Just those would be a big difference.

Keep after it, you'll get it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'm convinced. I'm looking into the review courses and I'll be enrolled in one by Monday. I'm sure some of the cheaper ones like the one I posted above have some good material but I'm going to go with one of the tried and true classes I've read about on here. Testmasters, School of PE, or EET. Thanks again. You've all been very helpful.
This is a small investment in your future. EET even takes Paypal, you can sign up for Paypal credit and pay it off over the course of 6 months too if you need to with no interest.

I took SofPE for the FE, as did a guy at my work a few months ago who has been out of school for like 15 years,

Good luck, and post questions here when they come up.

I took School of PE too for FE review - I would recommend (note I am electrical).

Hey everyone,

I took my FE CBT Civil exam today March / 03 / 2016, and I think I did horribly since I guessed on a lot of the questions, the questions i did calculate was the ones that were in my linderburg review, which some of them showed up on the exam. I failed my first attempt way back in October / 2013, which was last ever paper and pencil exam.

one thing i noticed about the FE CBT Civil exam was that there was a lag time in loading the FE reference manual on the exam computer. NCEES charges us arm and a leg, but could not afford to give us a powerful computer to load the FE reference manual in less than a second.

Anyone has any ideas on how to move forward after failing second attempt?

if so, please let me know.

See the above posts.
Thank You,  matt267 PE, for your response. I will certainly look at the prior posts.

Get the OP's name, email, and phone number.

Work together, pass.
Thank You, John QPE,, for your response. By the way, who is OP?

Yeah these guys provided some great feedback. Main conclusion is that I need to take a refresher class. I'm signing up for SoPE Monday. I'd be happy to bounce concepts off of each other if need be. If you took the test this week you should get your result by roughly Wednesday (thats been my experience). And don't count yourself out 100%. You never know.
Thank You, jerimy.hamilton, for your response.

By the way, how did you calculate the percentage from the failed exam results?

I still have not received my final judgement of the FE Civil CBT Exam, which I took on March / 03 / 2016. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get the final judgement from NCEES. I am preparing my self for the worst decision any examinee could get.

Yes, I would like to bounce ideas back and forth to passing this exam. But we need a forum that only me and you can use to discuss different subjects within the FE CBT Civil Exam.

I know you are going to take the refresher course, but I feel like independent studies should suffice, I plan on doing self studies, but this time i would like to change something from last time. I had never taken CBT version of the exam until March / 03 / 2016. So, I now have a little better idea on how to carry out my studies, and also how to manage my time. My biggest regret is that I took the scheduled break of 25 minutes. I should've just went to the bathroom, and may be drink a little bit of water, and should've just started on the second portion of the exam at or about 10 to 11 minute mark, instead i brought snacks from home, which I ate thinking I had more than enough time to eat and go to bathroom, and drink water before going back into the exam room. All of this took almost 10 minutes out of my exam time as that computer is programmed to start deducting time even if you are not back. 

I think CBT Exam administrators should tell examinee what time to report back ( that time should reflect exact 25 minutes scheduled break, and not a second more ) so that you are not deducted from the exam time.

In the old paper and pencil exam, exam administrator told us that you must be back at, say 2:38 P.M., or otherwise you will NOT be let back into the exam room once the door closes at 2:39 P.M. That was much better. This is just my two cents into this whole equation of scheduled break.

anyways, thanks to everyone who responded to my post. 

If you took the exam on the 3rd, you should receive your results on Wednesday (3/9) if I remember correctly.

If you took the exam on the 3rd, you should receive your results on Wednesday (3/9) if I remember correctly.
Thank You, W9TWJ, for your response to my post. I will keep everyone posted at or around March / 09 / 2016, and/or March / 10 / 2016.

Amount of attempts an examinee takes the FE Exam is limited to 3 in the state where I reside, and after that I have to go and take minimum of 12 credit hours of courses in the areas of deficiencies.

In the neighboring state, there is no limit of how many times examinee can take the FE Exam.

So, does anyone know if it is legal to jump from your current state of resident to the next state to take the FE exam, and claim that neighboring state board as your official state to grant examinee EIT status?

I do not want to bog down to the limited amount of attempts, as per state mandated, and do not want to go back to college.

here is where I am at with regards to my current situation :

I took my first attempt at FE Exam in October / 2013 last ever paper pencil exam, and I did not pass.

I took my second attempt at FE Exam in March / 03 / 2016, my first ever CBT version of the exam.

I still have not received my second attempt FE exam results as I type this on March / 06 / 2016.

I have one LAST attempt left, and I don't want to blow it.

my current resident state is Georgia.

Can anyone help if its legal to jump from current resident state to next neighboring state to take the FE exam, and make that neighboring state's engineering board to be home state just so that i don't have to deal with this limitations on the amount of tries i have to pass the exam.

if anyone can help in this regard, then it would be helpful. -Thanks in advance.

You can take the FE anywhere, provided you meet the states requirements. But you should really think positive.

Looking at the sample diagnostic in the ncees examinee guide, it says,

The Your Performance column indicates your result by knowledge area converted to a scaled score of 0–15. The scaled score conversion is
necessary for comparison purposes since each exam, while similar to other exams in overall difficulty, is unique. This also allows comparison of
results by an examinee on multiple attempts. The number of questions you answered correctly cannot be determined from this scaled score.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????So I'm not sure if you really go by what you've calculated based on their statement....

You can take the FE anywhere, provided you meet the states requirements. But you should really think positive.
Thank You, John QPE, for your response.

Yes, I will try to be positive, but by doing analysis as to my current situation, I am just feeling down. I think I should have done better on the exam, but I did not.

I tried to study for the exam in the car just minutes before the exam to make sure I cover the simple things such as ethics, and some easy definitions.

------------------------------------------------------

http://engineerboards.c o m/index.php?/topic/26298-any-last-minute-advice/&do=findComment&comment=7331113

http://engineerboards.c o m/index.php?/topic/26298-any-last-minute-advice/&do=findComment&comment=7331130

Thank You, Jerimy.Hemilton, for your response, and how to calculate the percentage from the data provided by the NCEES.

------------------------------------------------------

http://engineerboards.c o m/index.php?/topic/26298-any-last-minute-advice/&do=findComment&comment=7331115

Thank You, Mike in Gastonia, for your response.

Dude I have a degree in freaking Geography. If I can pass it you can. But you need to focus, the upcoming test needs to literally become your life.

Dude I have a degree in freaking Geography. If I can pass it you can. But you need to focus, the upcoming test needs to literally become your life.
Thanks for your comments, and encouragement. I will try  to take the exam again in about 1 to 2 months depending upon how quickly i learn the materials that I had trouble with on exam. 

In the mean time, waiting for my FE exam results.

Thanks again.

Hello everyone,
I have gotten my second attempt of the FE Civil CBT Exam's results this after noon ( March / 09 / 2016 ), and I did not pass. Please see below for the diagnostics as provided by the NCEES.
    Knowledge Areas - - Number of Items - - Your Performance ( out of 15.0)
1.  Mathematics - - - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - - - - - -  ( 7.4 )
2.  Prob & Stat - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 5.8 )
3.  Computation Tools - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - -  ( 8.7 )
4.  Ethics - - - - - - - - - - -  4 - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 15.0 )
5.  Eng. Econ. - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - -  ( 8.1 )
6.  Statics - - - - - - - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 9.5 )
7.  Dynamics - - - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 15.0 )
8.  Mech. of Materials - - - - - 7 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 7.2 )
9.  Materials - - - - - - - - -  4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 5.8 )
10. Fluid Mechanics - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 5.5 )
11. Hydrology and Hydraulic Systems - 8 - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 5.6 )
12. Structural Analysis - - - - - 6 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  ( 7.3 )
13. Structural Design - - - - - - 6 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 8.7 )
14. Geotechnical Engineering - - - 9 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 6.6 )
15. Transportation Engineering - - 8 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 8.7 )
16. Environmental Engineering - - 6 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 9.4 )
17. Construction - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 5.4 )
18. Surveying - - - - - - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( 10.5 )

After looking at the Diagnostics, I have couple of questions.

( Question # 1 ) : Why does my "number of items" max out at only 100, when it was supposed to be maxing out at 110?

( Question # 2 ) : Are we supposed to look at our results, and compare and contrast to the example diagnostic results provided on NCEES website to determine which subjects we need to study more in depth?

( Question # 3 ) The horizontal bar graph provided in the diagnostic results do not match perfectly to the performance. For example, I have 15 out of 15 on the two of the 18 subjects, yet the bar graphs stops at the midway point between Avg. of passing Examinees, and the far right line of the table itself.

Based on my report, what subject(s) should I focus on the most?

Back