Affordable Housing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid PE

Member? You 'member.
Reaction score
So to combat our "affordable housing crisis" down here, a developer is going to start building 336sqft homes in our downtown area. I don't know if this is good or bad yet, but I can only imagine what those houses will be like 20-30 years from now. I don't exactly see the point when we have new apartment buildings all over the place, why we're going to divide perfectly good lots just to put permanent tiny homes on them. Can this really help ease the high cost of living?

Another thought: if you can't afford to live downtown, then don't. 

I have no idea at the moment. Everything is so inflated.

But the median household income is $46,000 if that tells you anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of a political ad lately where they are like Senator said they were going to live low, but now living in $400k condo in DC. I'm like, dudes, I know that HERE, $400k will buy you some really nice digs.... but $400k in DC is not getting you all that much.

Ok so I just found a report that calculated $1,160 per month would be considered affordable for a household income of $46k, and for a single person $730 a month.

some places $1100 gets you alot, some places it doesnt.

But if a private property owners chooses to develop their property within the land use plan / zoning without any kickbacks from the local government or any particpation by the government in any shape then its not really any different than any other development.  Dont want it then get your neighbors to go harass the local zoning board meetings and such and get it killed.

We had one of these wanting to go in near our hood. People raised a fuss and got it killed. Not because they are horrible people who dont care about other people, but because it in no way shape or form conformed to the land use plan and zoning.  It was being pushed by a councilwoman who was going to grant them an exemption on lot density in a "huge" high dollar development elsewhere. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On Zillow, right now there is ONE single family home for rent under $1100 in the ATX. One.

Said:

"The unit had to be granted a zoning variance last week to be placed on property owned by AMR, which already has a duplex on it, so the house will be considered an accessory dwelling unit. Developers had to do it that way because most local municipalities have yet to adopt a building code that specifically allows for tiny homes."

I can see there being a lot of push back from the downtown folk, because it's now the rich area.

Back