ABET Accreditation Unlawful/Unjust Cutoff Date

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youngo:  sure there is a point in what you said and I have been considering it.  However, it is still a more onerous route to get the PE through experience without an already accredited ABET degree.  Had my degree been accredited then I could pursue the experience route more easily.

State of Texas, 2018, Case No. 12345:

Plaintiff-GeoP V. Defendant-ABET, WHEREFORE defendant prays that Plaintiff pays all fees and costs of suit. 

I don't see any reasons  the OP to sue ABET. First , the PE is regulated by each state not ABET. Second, It is the Washington Accord that doesn't recognize your degree not ABET. Third, You can also go through NCEES evaluation process. 

homerca: The Washington Accord does recognize my degree.  ABET might tell you they don't so that they have an excuse to cover themselves!  I think we let a judge decide on that, but meanwhile it seems there are many out there who had the same problems because of ABET.

Hope you're able to resolve it with ABET. It is very difficult and challenging to resolve things when lawyers get involved from my personal experience. 

FYI, if you really want to take the FE exam,  you can register through Michigan Board, they don't require ABET. Since you already has so many years experience, I believe you are eligible for most states.

Thank you homerca, I am already registered through the Texas board.  As mentioned in previous posts I have already lost a prestigious job offer because of the employer's requirement for ABET accreditation.  That employer was unaware that ABET excludes graduates from earlier than 1989.  This is despite my program being accredited by one of the original Washington Accord signatories.

Back