2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any data on why people are not getting vaccinated? I see there is a push to get the full FDA approval, but I think that's going to have minimal affect.
I've posted the link to the KFF page before which tracks public attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccination. Here's the latest summary:

"The July KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor finds the key demographic differences between the “wait and see” and the “definitely not” groups still center on racial and ethnic identity and political partisanship. Four in ten of those in the “wait and see” group are people of color, while the most vaccine resistant group, those who say they will “definitely not” get a COVID-19 vaccine, is overwhelmingly made up of White adults (65% of the group compared to 50% of the “wait and see” group). Partisanship also plays a major role with more than half (58%) of the “definitely not” group identifying as Republican or Republican-leaning. In addition, religious identity also plays a role as White Evangelical Christians make up nearly twice the share of the “definitely not” group (32%) as the “wait and see” group."

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/dashboard/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-dashboard/

Partisanship also plays a major role with more than half (58%) of the “definitely not” group identifying as Republican or Republican-leaning.
I thought that number looked a little low, then I checked the numbers. Only 15% of that group are Democrat or leaning. I'd wager that most of the remaining 27% are Libertarian (or similar) that mistrust government in general.

This article is scary. Data in NJ is showing that nearly 20% of new cases and 3% of hospitalizations occur with fully vaccinated people. Also that the Delta varient is responsible for 90% of new cases in NJ. I imagine These figures are similar across the country.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...pfizer/3215548/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand
That's not that scary. So 97% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated people. Probably a similar order of magnitude for deaths.

So the vaccine keeps you out of the hospital and alive and mostly prevents COVID.

I've posted the link to the KFF page before which tracks public attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccination. Here's the latest summary:

"The July KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor finds the key demographic differences between the “wait and see” and the “definitely not” groups still center on racial and ethnic identity and political partisanship. Four in ten of those in the “wait and see” group are people of color, while the most vaccine resistant group, those who say they will “definitely not” get a COVID-19 vaccine, is overwhelmingly made up of White adults (65% of the group compared to 50% of the “wait and see” group). Partisanship also plays a major role with more than half (58%) of the “definitely not” group identifying as Republican or Republican-leaning. In addition, religious identity also plays a role as White Evangelical Christians make up nearly twice the share of the “definitely not” group (32%) as the “wait and see” group."

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/dashboard/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-dashboard/
my BIL's wife falls into that republican white evangelical christian "Definitely not" group, so my BIL isn't allowed to get one either.

That is a more positive way to look at it
The vaccines have been so good that we forget that their main purpose was preventing severe illness and death in the first place. Breakthrough cases were always expected. The fact that the vaccines seemed to be lowering chances of transmission (at least with the other variants, not so much Delta) was just icing on the cake.

Does anyone have any data on why people are not getting vaccinated? I see there is a push to get the full FDA approval, but I think that's going to have minimal affect.
Of people I know some are worried about the side effects (eyeroll since they aren't worried about the worse effects of the virus), can't be bothered or they are suffering some form of delusion that the vaccine is evil/gives them cancer/turn them into a liberal. It reminds me of this quote from Cyborg:

"First there was the collapse of civilization: anarchy, genocide, starvation. Then when it seemed things couldn't get any worse, we got the plague. The Living Death, quickly closing its fist over the entire planet. Then we heard the rumors: that the last scientists were working on a cure that would end the plague and restore the world. Restore it? Why? I like the death! I like the misery! I like this world!"

The vaccines have been so good that we forget that their main purpose was preventing severe illness and death in the first place. Breakthrough cases were always expected. The fact that the vaccines seemed to be lowering chances of transmission (at least with the other variants, not so much Delta) was just icing on the cake.
Exactly! So few people understand what vaccines do. Any vaccine.

Back