2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No idea. I'm guessing it comes down to what you can prove in court.

If everyone in your office is vaccinated except for you, it seems like you could argue that you're not a direct threat. On the other hand if you're a waitress serving customers, that's probably a harder argument to make since you can't know everyone's vaccine status.
My job (water/wastewater utility) isnt requiring vaccines, which I personally dont get, I figured people in field on regular basis would be required but doesn't appear to be case, Filled out a vaccine survey, I said anybody refusing vaccine should have to permanently telework, There are probably two people in my immediate work group who would refuse to get vaccinated,

i plan on getting vaccine ASAP because I have an elderly parent and another family meber in poor health that I take to doctor and go to store for,

My theory is that they tell people to keep wearing the mask even after you get the vaccine is so people can't go around without masks and claim it's okay because they've already been vaccinated. I hope that's what it is anyway, because the alternative is that they don't really know if the vaccine actually works.

Vaccination is about a lot more than just yourself. There are people everywhere who legitimately cannot be vaccinated, for various health reasons. The entire concept of herd immunity (the actual, defined concept not the news media and Facebook concept) is that if you get a large enough percentage of the population vaccinated, then the folks who can't get vaccinated are protected. So a school district, hospital, or any other general employer who requires vaccination is basically doing that so that they are creating an environment that is safe for everyone, including the handful of students, patients, or employees who are genuinely unable to get the vaccine.

Just a hypothetical, but let's say two people file a lawsuit against the same employer. One files a lawsuit saying that they should not be required to be vaccinated because the employer cannot control what happens to their body. Another files a lawsuit saying that because the employer does not require vaccination, the workplace has become hazardous because that employee cannot be vaccinated. I wonder which would win.

And no, masks do not provide nearly the same protection as a vaccination. I challenge you to show me where any actual public health authority (e.g., CDC) has ever published that. Masks are meant to slow transmission, but to nowhere near the same degree as mass vaccination.

My theory is that they tell people to keep wearing the mask even after you get the vaccine is so people can't go around without masks and claim it's okay because they've already been vaccinated. I hope that's what it is anyway, because the alternative is that they don't really know if the vaccine actually works.
My understanding is the vaccine has only been proven to keep the vaccinated person from being infected with C19. There is no proof that the vaccinated person does not carry and distribute the virus.

The point of a mask is not to keep you from getting infected with C19, its to keep your potentially infectious droplets/vapor/breath to yourself.

My understanding is the vaccine has only been proven to keep the vaccinated person from being infected with C19. There is no proof that the vaccinated person does not carry and distribute the virus.

The point of a mask is not to keep you from getting infected with C19, its to keep your potentially infectious droplets/vapor/breath to yourself.
I believe there is preliminary data for the Pfizer and J&J vaccines indicating reduced transmission from vaccinated individuals; my understanding is that while it's promising data, we just need more of it to make a definitive link.

Per the 'safety pause' Zoom meeting that I'm currently sitting in. No federal gov't agency is going to require employees to get the vaccine....it is strongly recommended, but not mandatory.

Welp, it got us....maybe. Took Ezra to Childrens this morning for some same day touch up work done. We tried to get him tested 2 days before per the instructions they sent but couldn’t because they didn’t put an order in the system. When they checked with the Dr. he said we didn’t need one since he wasn’t showing any symptoms and could get a rapid test day of. So we were there answering the 843 questions and the phone rings.... Nobody in the house is showing any symptoms, and it was the rapid test that has more frequent false positives, so I’m trying to decide if I’m going to get tested or just wait a couple weeks and do the antibody test. Wife is thinking of doing a rapid test tomorrow at the Dr’s office she works for so maybe I’ll go with her.

The antibody test is probably the least accurate of them all, so I'd probably just go get the normal test.

Has anyone taken the J&J vaccine yet. I am planning on taking the first available when I get the chance, but I am still a few groups away in the queue.

Has anyone taken the J&J vaccine yet. I am planning on taking the first available when I get the chance, but I am still a few groups away in the queue.
No, but I'm hoping that when it's my turn, that's the one I receive. One and done? Sign me up.

As they should. That's how vaccines work.
Yes generally, but not this vaccine. Your body thinks it had measles because you were injected with a weakened measles virus and your body killed it, and created an antibody.

From Mayo Clinic:

“Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines use messenger RNA (mRNA). Coronaviruses have a spike-like structure on their surface called an S protein. COVID-19 mRNA vaccines give cells instructions for how to make a harmless piece of an S protein. After vaccination, your cells begin making the protein pieces and displaying them on cell surfaces. Your immune system will recognize that the protein doesn't belong there and begin building an immune response and making antibodies.”

If you got this vaccine your body builds an “immunity” to having that S protein, not C19. This is the first time mRNA has been used, and I think thats part of why so many people are reluctant to get it if they don’t have to.

The J&J vaccine is different.

Full disclosure, I’m a Civil engineer, not a doctor.

And your body reacts to the spike proteins by creating antibodies... the same antibodies that would be created if it was a spike protein on a real virus. Hence the antibody test comes up positive. The J&J vaccine does the same thing, it just uses a (harmless) virus to deliver the instructions for making the spike protein, instead of messenger RNA. But either way, both vaccines are fooling your immune system into responding and building immunity without ever having a live coronavirus in your body.

Back